Learn all about the Sparkle Mod Podge formula! Find out what it is, how to use it, and see some unique projects you can make.
Are you ready to learn about a super-duper Mod Podge formula perfect for the holidays?! Meet Sparkle Mod Podge! When it comes to Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other holiday decoupage projects . . . this guy (gal?) is one of my go-to formulas.
And like the other Mod Podge formulas, it’s kind of simple. It’s regular Mod Podge in the bottle, but with SPARKLES! Two different sizes of holographic glitter to be exact. Glitter that will add a sparkly sheen to any decoupage craft.
And it’s nice if you want to apply glitter to a project but don’t want the mess. It’s especially nice if you just want a subtle glitter; nothing that’s too out of control, but enough to be pretty.
This is because there are glitter particles in this formula that can prevent paper from being completely smooth. Plus since this formula costs more, it just makes sense to use the “regular” formulas underneath, and save this for the top coat. Right?
Now onto the questions!
Sparkle Mod Podge Questions
1. What is the finish of this product? Glossy – with holographic (rainbow) glitter pieces within.
2. What is the difference between Mod Podge Sparkle and Mod Podge Extreme Glitter? Well, the Extreme Glitter is just that: Extreme! Sparkle has two different sizes of holographic glitter. Extreme Glitter has three different holographic glitters and is VERY glittery. If you want to go subtle, use the sparkle; if you’re going crazy, use Extreme Glitter.
3. What type of surfaces can I put this formula on? Mod Podge Sparkle can be applied directly onto a variety of surfaces such as: wood, tin, terra cotta, canvas, papier mache and even glass and ceramics when the finished glass surface will be used for decorative purposes only.
4. How do I apply this formula to my project? You’ll apply it like regular Mod Podge (learn to Mod Podge here); however, for a smooth application of paper to the project surface, use Mod Podge Matte or Gloss to adhere the paper first. Although Mod Podge Sparkle can be used to adhere the paper, the added dimension of the glitter particles may interfere if using thin, lightweight paper.
Allow to dry 15–20 minutes before applying a topcoat of Mod Podge Sparkle. For a simple and quick finish, apply a smooth, moderate layer of Mod Podge Sparkle to the decoupaged surface.If additional glitter effects is desired, brush on additional coats allowing ample dry time between applications.
5. What tools should I use to apply it? Any regular brushes are fine. You don’t need special decoupage tools to apply this formula. Clean all brushes in warm, soapy water as you would any other brushes covered in decoupage medium.
7. Is this formula water resistant? No, it is not. Any projects you do are for indoor, decorative purposes only unless you put something stronger on top.
9. Should I shake this formula before using? I don’t recommend shaking – instead, stir to disperse the sparkles. I’ve never really had a problem with settling though; it seems the glitter stays throughout the formula pretty well.
Are you ready for some fun projects? Check these out!
Let me know if you have any questions about Mod Podge Sparkle in the comments!