Learn all about the Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge formula! Find out what it is, how to use it, and see some projects you can make.
It’s always hard to pick my favorite Mod Podge formulas, and it definitely depends on the day. However, I will say that Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is definitely always a front runner, and for good reason. What other decoupage formula can you WASH?!
There isn’t one.
Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is the decoupage formula that you can apply to glass, ceramic, and metal – and then you’ll be able to wash the item. And when I say “put in the dishwasher,” I mean on the top rack after it cures.
This formula is indoor/outdoor durable (though I typically use Outdoor Mod Podge for outdoor projects). Does it really work? Absolutely! I’ve tested many projects with this formula, and if you follow the instructions EXACTLY, your item can be washed in the dishwasher.
If you are wondering about instructions, here you go. These are the steps you should follow for success:
- Clean your project surface. I wash glass, ceramic, and metal with warm soapy water – rinse thoroughly, and let dry. If your piece is too large, using rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to clean.
- Roll your bottle on the table to mix it.
- Open and use a soft bristle brush to apply the finish to the surface and the back of the design element.
- While the Mod Podge is still wet, place the design onto the surface and smooth.
- Do not apply the design element where it can be in contact with food or your lips. For example, apply to the back of a glass plate or 1/4″ down from the edge of a cup.
- Let dry for 1- 2 hours and then apply 2 – 3 more coats. Let dry 1 – 2 hours between coats.
- Cure your project for 28 days.
- Wash by hand or in the top rack of the dishwasher.
Now that you’ve gotten the skinny on how to use it, here are some common questions I get about the formula. I’ve provided the answers to the best of my ability!
Questions About Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge
1. Isn’t all Mod Podge dishwasher safe? Why do I need a special formula?
This is a common misconception. All Mod Podges are not dishwasher safe. The Outdoor formula is highly water-resistant but not waterproof. If you want to be able to wash a decoupaged item in the dishwasher, you need this formula!
2. What is the finish of this formula?
3. What sizes does the formula come in?
4. What is the cure time – when can I wash my project?
You need to wait 28 days. Not 10 or 17 or 26 – 28! Please wait the full time frame for the best results.
5. Do I really have to wait 28 days for it to cure?
6. I waited the cure time and my project messed up!
You may not have put on enough layers of Mod Podge, or they may not have been thick enough. Or if you didn’t clean your surface before beginning, regular oils from hands and other things can cause the formula not to adhere appropriately.
7. Why can’t the Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge touch my food or lips?
While it is waterbase and non-toxic (so it won’t hurt you), it’s not FDA approved food-safe. it would be very unusual for a glue to be approved for use with food! So please keep it away from anything edible.
8. How do I prepare my surface to apply this formula?
Clean with warm soapy water if the item is small – or use rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, especially if the item is larger.
9. Can I still use the formula on wood?
Yes you can. Having said that, you aren’t going to want to wash a piece of wood in the dishwasher. If this is the only formula you have, you can still use it like regular Mod Podge.
10. Where can I purchase it?
Are you ready for some project ideas using Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge? Check out the links below!
Dishwasher Safe Fabric Platter DIY - The Sewing Rabbit
Grab some fat quarters and go to work on some plain white dishes with Mod Podge. Perfect for housewarming or wedding gifts!
Dishwasher-Safe Glittery Teacher Appreciation Apple Mug
This is such a cute idea for a teacher gift! Apply a glittery red apple to a ceramic mug with Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge.
Color Block Drinking Glasses with Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe Forumla
You can apply cardstock to glasses and make them safe for the dishwasher! Learn how to do it with your favorite designs here.
Let me know your favorite projects or any questions you might have in the comments!