I know that right now many of you have little ones at home – they are out of school, it's cold outside and they are bored. They might need some fun kids Christmas crafts! Kids love making Christmas ornaments! Good news – Mod Podge is here to help. Since many of you are also setting up trees this weekend, you can set your kids at a table with these fabric scrap decoupage ornaments and let them go to town. Once you are done, slap them on the tree (okay, not so much slapping as placing). They are so easy and inexpensive, you probably have everything you need already, and your kids are going to have a great time.
Kids Christmas Crafts: Decoupage Ornaments
Gather These Supplies
- Mod Podge – your choice of flavors. I used Glitter Gold, Glitter Silver, and Gloss. Glitter Mod Podge is no longer available so I recommend either Sparkle or Extreme Glitter
- Paper mache ornaments – as many as you want to make
- Fabric scraps – I didn't have any holiday ones specifically so I bought 1/8 yard pieces from JoAnn. They were only around $.30 a piece with the sales right now
- Embellishments – whatever you have laying around; I used ribbon and buttons
- Flat paintbrush – one for everyone!
- Craft Glue
Kids love to get messy, and so do I! Work one or two shapes at a time, putting Mod Podge down on the ball and then placing the fabric squares. Tell the kids not to do too big of an area at once – we don't want crying when the Mod Podge dries and nothing sticks!
Cover the entire ball.
Set the decoupage ornaments aside to dry for 15 – 20 minutes. Use your craft glue to add embellishments. I added buttons, ribbon, etc – whatever floats your boat! Again, make sure your glue is child safe if the little ones are going to be attaching embellishments. Set to dry for at least a few hours before hanging on the tree.
Your kids had a great time, didn't they? This kids Christmas craft might be good for them to make as gifts for family members. You can even have them decoupage pictures of themselves or names on top. And as I said, you can use Christmas fabrics, but it would also be fun to use any fabrics and embellishments you have lying around.
If you like kids crafts for Christmas, check out these related articles from some of my friends!