Make unique Mod Podge canvas art

Make unique Mod Podge canvas artHey there! As you know, I’ve been working on doing some decoupage canvas art for my place – inexpensive but cute. I dug through my fabric scraps the other day and found some Denyse Schmidt County Fair fabric. It turned out there was just enough to cover a 12″ x 16″ canvas, so the wheels started turning. I then looked through my surface bin, and found this wood cutout. Don’t remember when or where I got this particular one, but I’ve seen them at several craft stores, especially seasonally.

Anyhoo, I completed this Mod Podge project in less than an afternoon. To make this Mod Podge canvas art, gather these supplies:

• Canvas, 12″ x 16″
  • Mod Podge Gloss (because this is not a heavy wear item and will hang on the wall, you can use this to prepare your fabric too)
  • Scrap of fabric to cover canvas
  • Wood piece to put on the front
  • Acrylic Paint – You’ll obviously want to match your fabric. I used the following:
  • FolkArt Acrylic Paint – Coastal Blue
  • Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint – Wedgewood Green
  • Flat paintbrush
  • Craft Glue
  • Staple Gun or small nails and hammer

IMG_1850You will first want to prepare the fabric before painting. To do this, wash and dry the fabric (do not use fabric softener). Iron and then lay out on a covered work surface. Wax paper is preferable for covering your table. Using a brush, paint a light coat of Mod Podge onto your fabric. Allow to dry. This will allow you to cut the fabric like paper without frayed edges.

IMG_1849While the Mod Podge on your fabric is drying, paint your wood piece. You will more than likely have to paint several coats – and don’t forget the edges. Don’t worry about the back.

IMG_1851Once the leaves were done, I painted the bird blue. He can be purple if you want. Or a horse of a different color bird, yellow, orange . . . whatever suits you. Set him aside to dry.

IMG_1852Time to decoupage the fabric to the canvas. I used a staple gun, starting on one edge and stretching the fabric across. My method was bottom, top, then sides. Corners are next. If you don’t have a staple gun, use small finishing nails and a hammer. Just be careful not to tear the fabric.

IMG_1853The corners are special. I made “flower” like corner – tucking the two parts under on each side and then folding down. I hope you can see what I did.

Once I stretched the fabric over the canvas, I gave it another coat of Mod Podge for good measure.

IMG_1855After stretching the canvas, Mr. Bird was sealed with Mod Podge. Again, do the sides but don’t worry about the back.

IMG_1856Use your glue to glue Mr. Bird down onto the center of the canvas. Wait for 24 hours to hang on the wall.

Make unique Mod Podge canvas artOne more tip – if you don’t find a wood piece that you like, consider painting something on the front of the fabric using a freezer paper stencil technique.

Mod Podge RSS Feed

Comments

1. --T.M.St.P says

I’m redoing my ‘bathroom’ (his and her sinks, mine is separate from bathroom) with polka dot material and mod podge.. I’ve done the scale, covered a box for my hair things, glasses case, about to cover a trashcan.. I just couldn’t figure out what to put on the wall… This works!!

2. Cari says

I love it!

The wheels are turning in my head. I am almost sure I have a die cut file very similar to that. I could use 12×12 patterned paper and cardstock die cut. Even framed it would be cheap and awesome.

3. Tyler says

Hi! This is a little bit off topic, but if you don’t mind me asking: where did you get your “posts” and “all comments” rss buttons? I love them! It looks like Feedburner, but I couldn’t find those on their website!

4. Jon and Amy Duvall says

SO cute, inexpensive, and fun, totally up my alley. Thanks for your comments on my craft stuff. It blows me away because you are A-MA-ZING, so totally made my day! Love your blog! OH, and I had no idea that if you mod podge the fabric it would cut that way, so awesome.

5. Sabrina says

Nice job! I love the look and its so easy to whip up. I have a project to share with you soon. Frugal canvas Mod Podgey goodness!

6. creativejewishmom.com says

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday! xoxoxo Sara

7. Laura says

What a neat project. I love the bird cutout. I, too, am always looking for new wall art to make…I’m running out of walls!

Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day! I hope to see you back next week!

Come across your blog when googling for fabric modpodge :) I have never used modpodge before but been thinking of doing some modpodge on my super battered bookcase. Was a little worried how it’ll turn out, but after reading your posts. It seems doable.

Thanks!
    Cecil

9. frankenpug says

Just stopping by to say thanks for visiting my blog:)

What an awesome crafty blog! I love this wall art project! Lots of great tips too…I am going to link this site in my sidebar (if you don’t mind).

10. mle says

That wood cut out is adorable! I’ll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Love creating my own artwork. So cute!!

11. hancock says

There’s a modge podge blog. That is so awesome. New follower. I look forward to more great ideas!

12. MiMi's Babies says

That’s pretty cool! And I love the bird, of course! I’ll be checking back to see more projects!

13. Ann @ makethebestofthings says

Love the dimensional bird and branch on your great graphic print. Very creative!

14. Megan @ Megity's Handmade says

Country Fair was one of my favorite lines! This canvas is super cute!