Mod Podge tray – DIY organization.

Mod Podge DIY organization tray

For my latest trick, I’ve added fun papers to the inside of a tray for instant DIY organization. It’s not really a trick, actually – it was too easy to be considered a trick. It didn’t take long to do, and once you see the original tray you will see what a big difference paper can make. Are you interested in decoupaging a tray of your very own? Continue to see how I did it.

Gather These Supplies

Tray – any sort with a flat bottom will do
Mod Podge Gloss
Scrapbook paper – two coordinating sheets
Ruler
Craft knife
Paintbrush
Mod Podge Tool Set – optional

It’s a nice tray, but it needed a little something.

I carefully measured each compartment. The two smaller ones and the two larger ones were the same size.

Carefully measure your papers and trim them to fit. Make sure that they fit in each compartment, and if they don’t, keep trimming until they do.

Add a medium layer of Mod Podge to the inside of the tray compartments. Do one at a time.

This is where the squeegee from the tool set comes in handy. You’ll place the paper into each compartment and smooth it down – the squeegee helps get into the corners. Let the paper dry for 15 – 20 minutes.

Paint several layers of Mod Podge over the paper in each compartment. Let the tray dry for 24 hours before using.

It’s the subtle things that count, my friends. I love my new tray, and now I just need to fill it with tons of crap!

Mod Podge newsletter

Comments

1. CREATIVE MIND says

Superb!! I am a big fan of paisley designs & its looking beautiful inside your tray :) Fun !!
    Thanks for sharing!

2. Shebrews/Eydie says

just wondering if you use a tray that you transport food/heated things like cup of coffee if there is a sealer you put on it? to protect it extra? thanks.

3. Kim {ShopKim on Etsy} says

It looks great! It made me chuckle too because I already have that same paisley paper in house waiting to be put in the bottom of a tray as well!!

Shebrews/Eydie – if you are going to put hot stuff in the tray, definitely seal with something tough like Minwax Polycrylic (the brush on). Regular wear and tear can just take a clear acrylic spray sealer. Thank you!

5. Toqua's Crafts says

It’s so pretty I would hesitate to fill it full of crap as I wouldn’t be able to see the pretties.

6. Sparkling says

I became very excited about ModPodge last year and went around sticking maps on things and ModPodging them. I made 3 stools with maps on them and went over the tops a million times with it,expecting that my wiggly butt middle school students would rip them off. For about a year, they were fine, but suddenly, they are all tearing and losing their powers of staying together. Is this normal? I am very disappointed!!

7. Maria says

Love this! Isn’t mod podge the best?! I love the dividers in the tray, great idea!!!

8. Jenny G says

@Sparkling…did you seal your modge podge projects? That should help keep them durable.

9. jmmonroe says

I adore your tray it is darling with the modge podge could you elaborate on the modge podge tools you only mentioned the squeege and where to purchase please

10. A Lived in Home says

Cute tray! I have the same multi swirl paper lining my drawers in the bathroom!

11. creativejewishmom/sara says

love the tray, now you’ll have so much fun filling it with little things you have no idea what to do with! great to see you on Craft Schooling sunday, and thanks for sharing !

This is great! I’d love to do this to our drawers! However, would this be able to be removed easily? We live in an apartment and wouldn’t want it to ruin the drawers if they tried to remove the paper. Thank you!

• says

Hi Lindsey! No, it would be able to be removed easily. You could Mod Podge to something else and stick it in the drawer (like posterboard). Otherwise, I’d use contact paper :D