Make your space too cute to boot this school year with these decorative push pins! Great for a dorm room or office.
Skills Required: Beginner. If you can use a hot glue gun, you can do this project. Just be careful to protect your work surface with a silicone mat for this craft.
Hi there! My name is Heather and I blog over at Craft + Tell! I’m a craft and DIY blogger who loves anything colorful or fun.
Today, Amy invited me over on the blog to share with you a fun project I’ve been working on – decorative push pins using Mod Podge Melts!
When I first saw Mod Podge Melts, my mind was blown with how many things I could make with them. Then, I remembered the girls at my full time job telling me how boring my cubicle looks.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I like to decorate as much as the next gal, but I’m not sure how you decorate a cubicle in a classy way . . . until now!
DIY Decorative Push Pins
Here’s what you’ll need to make these decorative push pins:
- Mod Melter or hot glue gun
- Silicone mold – design of your choice
- Mod Podge Melts or colored glue sticks (you can use white or clear and paint them, but I chose to use pink, yellow and gold!)
- Bulletin board (I got a cute triangle bulletin board from Target!)
I pinky promise this is so easy. Heat up your Mod Podge Mod Melter with a Mod Podge Melt inside of it, just like you would a hot glue gun. Then, fill up each mold with the desired color.
You have two options to attach the thumbtack. First, you could either stick a thumbtack into the mold while it’s still wet. This will securely hold the thumbtack.
Another way is to let the Mod Podge Melts completely dry, and then use your Mod Podge Mod Melter again to glue on a thumbtack. Either option works great!
I think these decorative push pins are such a clever way to hang fun pictures and to-do lists, especially in a dorm room.
I remember when I was in college I was always looking to hang up reminders, notes and pictures from friends and family. With these cute push pins, we’ve found a perfect way to keep your dorm room looking classy and feminine at the same time!
If you’re looking for another fun way to hang up papers or a great gift idea for a teacher in your life, take a look at my DIY Clipboard which is Perfect for Back to School Gifts for Teachers!
What’s a fun idea you would make with Mod Podge Melts to fancy up your dorm room or cubicle?
- Cork bulletin board
- Mod Podge Mod Mold (this is the exact mold I used)
- Mod Podge Melts
- Mod Podge Mod Melter
- Small scissors
- Heat up the Mod Podge Mod Melter with a Mod Podge Melt inside of it, just like you would a hot glue gun.
- Fill up each mold with the desired color. Stick a thumbtack in while the melt is still wet. Alternatively, you can glue the tacks on later with the Mod Melter.
- Let the push pins cool in the mold, then pop out. Trim with scissors and use.
Note: once you purchase the silicone molds, you can make as many pins as you like, as well as other crafts. Therefore an accurate cost for this project depends on how many you make.
Tip: if you can't find the Mod Melts in colors, you can use clear or white Mod Melts and paint them with acrylic paint.
If you enjoyed this project, check out these other ideas with Mod Molds and Melts: