Make these DIY glitter coasters to help your guests or family members keep their drinks straight – no more guessing whose drink is whose.
Hello, Podgey People! I’m Carissa from Creative Green Living and I’m thrilled to be here to share my project with you. In casa Green Living, I try to make items that will have an extended lifespan, which means instead of Christmas crafts, I try to make winter crafts that I can break out at the end of November and keep up through February.
These sparkly DIY coasters have that kind of staying power – which I love! It’s not hard to see them being used for Christmas hot cocoa, New Years cocktails and Valentine’s treats. Of course, if glitter is your jam, these might make great year-round coasters, too.
By making each coaster a different color, you can help your guests or family members keep their drinks straight – no more guessing whose drink is whose. The other thing I love about these coasters is that they are EASY. Ready to get started? Let’s do it!
DIY Glitter Coasters
- Cork coasters (mine are from IKEA)
- Patterning Tape
- Mod Podge Sparkle Formula
- Glitter (any kind will do, although Martha Stewart Glitter
- Paper to catch the glitter
- Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe Formula
1. Use the patterning tape to create a pattern on your coasters. I used three widths of tape to mask off horizontal stripes on the the bottom half of the coaster.
5. Prevent them from shedding all over your house by brushing a layer of Mod Podge over the glitter to seal it. I used the Sparkle formula for this but you could use the Dishwasher Safe formula if you just want a plain look.
The Dishwasher Safe formula is more water and temperature resistant than standard Mod Podge formulas, which is why I like it for coasters. If you used the Sparkle formula like I did, do back over it with a coat of Dishwasher Safe formula after the Sparkle coat is dry. Let it dry for at least one full day before using.
I hope you enjoyed my brief little glitter coasters tutorial! Please come visit me over at Creative Green Living for more easy crafts, recipes, DIY makeovers and easy ways to make greener choices in your everyday life.