How to make a clipboard with Mod Podge.

How to make a clipboard with Mod PodgeLet’s be honest – you could have a brown, boring clipboard – or you could have something quite a bit cooler. Basic brown doesn’t work for me, so in this post I’ll teach you how to make a clipboard. I had a teacher in mind when I was making it: my mother! She was a fifth grade teacher for years . . . and wouldn’t this make a great teacher gift? It’s not hard to decorate a clipboard, so if you are a beginning Mod Podger, you might want to take one on. Here’s how I did it.

Gather These Supplies

Clipboard – available at craft stores, but you might be lucky enough to find one at a thrift store (I’ve seen them there)
Mod Podge Gloss
FolkArt acrylic paint – Sky Blue
Spray paint
Scrapbook paper – I used K and Company Urban Rhapsody
Ribbon and embellishments
Craft glue
Paintbrush
Ruler
Pen
Craft knife
Scissors – for trimming
Brayer (optional)

Brown clipboard. Boring. I think I just fell asleep looking at it.

Remove the hardware (it’s easy) and spray paint it. This will give you a smooth coating on the metal. let it dry.

Paint the wood portion of the clipboard with acrylic paint. Give both sides of the board several coats and let dry.

clipboard5

While the clipboard is drying, measure and cut the paper. I used two sheets with the intention of creating a seam in the middle.

Add a medium layer of Mod Podge. Too much is better than not enough.

Use a brayer or your hands to completely smooth the paper down – wipe away any Mod Podge that squeezes out the side. Let the paper dry for 15 minutes at the least, then coat the entire board with two coats of Mod Podge.

Re-attach the clip and add embellishments (such as letters and ribbon) with craft glue. Let everything dry.

How to make a clipboard with Mod Podge

I tied ribbon at the top – and that funny little sticker is a mood spinner. Hahaha! Fun, huh?

Mod Podge RSS Feed

Comments

Do you cover the back of the clipboard. When my friend and I did one we decided that if you are in front of a meeting that you would be holding it in such a way that the back would be seen and the front covered by papers. JoAnn

2. Dollie @ Dollie Creates says

I love that clipboard! I remember decorating clipboards back in the day, of course it wasn’t with Mod Podge though :) I love your awesome Mod Podge ideas!

Hope you’re having a great day!
    Dollie

Was hoping you would give more directions on how to remove and reattach the clip. Thanks, Amy

JoAnn – that’s a great idea to cover the back with papers too! I love it!

Anonymous – the clip attaches with two little screws – if you get one of these clipboards, you’ll see how easy it is to remove and reattach the clip. The clip is actually one big piece :D

Thanks everyone!

5. Danielle says

I love this idea! I wanted to let you know that I featured this on my “What I Bookmarked This Week” post stop by and see.

6. Jennifer Curtis says

How fun Amy. The clipboard looks way better now. And you know I am up for spray painting anything and everything!

7. Mrs. Yazzie's Classroom News says

As a non-crafty person I, too, am wondering about removing the hardware. I’ve had my husband do that for me on several of my classroom clip boards so I could have a flat work surface, but he usually bangs them off and they are not in any condition to replace. What’s the easy method?

Also, could you tell me the purpose of painting the entire surface with paint if you’re covering it with decorative paper?

Thanks!

• says

Hi Mrs. Yazzie – the ones I buy have clips with screws that you can easily remove with pliers. So I would get those from the craft store!

Also, not all papers are thick, and some you would be able to see the brown of the clipboard through the paper. For thicker papers, you don’t need to, for thinner papers you should paint the entire thing.

• says

Hi Jackie! Got that from K&Company quite awhile back – I would take a look at the scrapbook section of your local craft store to find something similar!

8. Leanne says

Where did you find the clipboards? I have looked everywhere and can’t find any with the clips that are removable?

9. Eljah*B says

Amy, this is a GREAT tutorial!! Thank you for the step-by-step and pictures:) I had to share with my Etsy shop fanpage. I am the owner of Eljah*B and one Tuesdays, I share DIY tutorials. I posted yours this week. I hope you find more followers through the sharing.
    Many Blessings!
    Rachel

I invite you to stop by my shop:

and my fan page:

10. Christy says

I just completed me first one and I have bubbles all in the paper; however the paper was completely flat before the Mod Podge . Help! Please!

• Amy says

Hello! I recommend watching my videos at youtube.com/modpodgerocks – I think some of the tips there will help you!

11. Leah says

The best paper to use is cardstock. When you use regular paper (like typing paper thin), YES, it does bubble up alot. In my area, I haven’t found much patterned paper that is cardstock quality. It is mostly paper thin. Then you wouldn’t get any bubbles using the modge podge.

12. Shanna says

Hey, how did you remove the “hardware” off of it? I am having trouble with that! HELP!

• April says

My solution to the hardware problem is this: I don’t remove the hardware and just work around it covering it with paper the best I can. I always add a plethora of ribbon on top anyway so it covers any minor imperfections. While the Mod Podge is drying I hold the clip open with a zip tie(cable tie, that’s what I call them anyway). I didn’t paint my clip, but, if you wanted it painted, just paint it before covering the board in paper, I use scrapbooking paper btw.

13. Heather says

Hi – Attempting my first decorative clipboards. Love the look of the painted clips. How do you get the clip off, tho?

Thx

• says

Hi Heather! Mine had screws on the back. If yours doesn’t, I’d use painter’s tape to mark it off while spray painting :D

1. […] of all, head on over to ModPodge Rocks and decide how you would like to cover your clipboard.  I found her awesome blog from Pinterest […]