DIY Shrinky Dink pendant necklace

DIY Shrinky Dink pendant necklace

I’ve been on a jewelry kick for awhile, and I’ve had some Shrinky Dinks in my stash for about six months – combine that with some Dimensional Magic, and you have a DIY Shrinky Dink pendant necklace! This project is actually a little bit of a CraftFail because it didn’t go as planned, but it might be okay. I’m wondering what you think. First I’ll walk you through the project.

Gather These Supplies

IMG_3898You will first need to cut a circle shape out of your Shrinky Dink material. I used a circle cutter and did about a 3 3/8″ circle (it was completely random, I just made sure my stencil fit), but you can also trace a shape and cut it with scissors. Shrinky Dinks shrink to about 1/3 of their original size and get nine times thicker. It’s magic, people.

IMG_3899I taped down the stencil and filled in with the Sharpie color of my choice.

IMG_3902I removed the stencil and then went back in to thicken up the lines.

IMG_3903I punched a hole in the top of my disk with a regular sized hole punch. I then used my brown Sharpie to create vertical lines that were as evenly spaced and straight as I could make them. I eyeballed it.

IMG_3904I baked the Dink. I was like a kid in a candy store, sitting there with the oven light on, watching the Dink shrink. There were some precarious times when I thought it was going to fold over on itself, but it ended up righting itself and shrinking correctly. The instructions say if it does fold on itself, you can untwist it and flatten it out while still hot. I allowed my new pendant to cool.

IMG_3905I finished by putting Dimensional Magic on the pendant and allowing to dry. Notice in this photo that the Sharpie ink colors got much darker than they were originally. Also notice that the Dimensional Magic made the ink of the bird bleed but NOT the stripes. Weird, huh? To finish the piece, add a jump ring and a necklace chain.

DIY Shrinky Dink pendant necklaceEveryone that I’ve asked so far likes the blurring of the bird, but I’m asking you – what do you think? Feel free to be honest. Is it worth wearing? Or worth flushing into the toilet?

Mod Podge newsletter

Comments

1. Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com says

I think it looks super cool. The blurring makes it look like a silk screen.

How big is the final pendant? About 1″?

2. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says

Yeah, that looks horrible. Like, so horrible that you should save yourself the embarassment of wearing it and MAIL IT to me. Like ASAP!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I think the blurring is very cool, almost Warhol-ish, if that make sense.

3. Maggi says

I think it’s too cool, definitely does not deserve the flush! lol

How funny that the stripes changed color like that! I didn’t notice the blurring until you pointed it out actually. lol I think it’s a cool effect but trying to work with it to see if you could get it to not blur would be cool too.

Wow, that answered nothing. LOL

4. Barbie says

I thought the blurring looked intentional! Either way looks great, need to get some Dimensional Magic to play with

5. Kat says

This is Oh so COOL. I used to love Shrinky Dinks when I was a kid. I was obsessed with them. Drove my mom crazy because I was always wanting to buy more and more kits.

6. Tabitha says

It totally looks like you meant to do that. It’s awesome and so cool! I love Shrinky Dinks. They always take me back to the 1980s when I was a kid. So much fun! And they really are magic.

7. Melissa says

I’ve never done shrinky dinks but now I want to! I remember other kids doing them. I like your bird!

• Jaime says

Love “Dinks.” Just bought blank sheets of Shrinky Dink plastic at Hobby Lobby, and have made a series of original charms for a bracelet. So fun!

8. Anne Marie@Married to the Empire says

I like the blurring. I commend you! I’ve worked with shrinky dinks for jewelry (except I went the extra painful step of trying to get it to fit into a pewter pendant), and it’s a royal pain in the butt! (But I got a super-sweet stormtrooper necklace out of it to wear at conventions. That’s as close as I get to dressing up!)

9. jengd says

I wouldn’t have guessed that it isn’t what it’s supposed to be if you hadn’t told us. I think it looks great the way it is. And yeah, VERY weird that one Sharpie ran and the other didn’t. I haven’t done one this big but the few times I’ve played with Shrinky Dinks(without a lot of success getting them to color the way I want them), I’ve used my heat gun to shrink them. It’s a very violent process as it flops around shrinking but FAST.

10. Celeste B. says

I like the way the bird looks. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. Honestly – if you didn’t point it out, I’m sure most people (like myself) would have thought that it was supposed to look like that. I really think it’s beautiful!!!! :)

11. rengawk says

While I support supporting CraftFail, this does not qualify! (See even Heather said so!)

I had no idea what you were talking about as far as a mistake until you pointed it out, and then I had to go back and look… no fail for youuu! :)

12. Mall Rat says

I would forsure wear it, I love the bird and I love how the color of the stripe turned darker. I really like it :)

13. twelvedaysold says

I thought the blurring of the bird was intentional. Your friends aren’t lying, it’s definitely a keeper! And pfft, I’ll send you a stamp to send it to me before having you flush it! :)

14. Leah says

I think it looks awesome and I love the blurring. It’s just a really sweet design overall actually.

Looks good to me. Thanks for the tutorial.. I never heard of Shrinky Dinks until now… time to check it out!

16. Melissa P says

I love it just the way it is! It looks like your spray painted the bird instead of carefully coloring it. I didn’t realize you could use Sharpies on Shrinky Dink. Duh! Well, good thing I have both Sharpies and Shrinky Dink waiting for me. Thanks of another great idea that’s going on my To Do List.

17. Christine says

I have had that happen to me and it didn’t come out cool like that! It’s funny how the bird ran, but the stripes didn’t…weird. It’s sweet. Btw…I heart dimensional magic.

18. Angelia says

I love it, and I’m totally making one when I get home. I actually might try it with the plastic cup trick I saw on Dollar Store Crafts!

19. ThePaintedPisces says

I love how you perceived this as a fail, when I think it looks like it could be intentional. Like a stamp, then a water colored highlight. I bet you could find someone to love it, easy. I’ve found people that looooved things I’ve made that I thought were disasters.

20. Two Dollars says

I thought the way the bird was painted it was on purpose since the stripes aren’t that way. If both bled, I probably wouldn’t like it, but I def. do like this one!
    -Stefanie
    2ndChanceCreations.etsy.com

21. jules p says

I would totally wear this. It is really cute. I love that the lines turned a dark color-almost black from the photo. Great!!!

I just cannot find the dimensional mod podge in any of the stores around me though!!!

22. Maggie says

DON’T FLUSH! I think it’s beautiful! And it’s even more unique because it didn’t exactly turn out the way you intended.

23. ellie g says

EEEK! I love it! Really, I do. And I just have to say that “shrinky dink” makes me laugh. And think of a Seinfeld episode. That. Is. All.

24. Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki says

Love it! I’ve been wanting to try some Shrinky Dink crafts for a while now! Great job!

Love it! The bird blur looks like you meant to do it that way, like it’s a shadow of the bird. Very nice.

26. creativejewishmom/Sara says

looks great, and would be wonderful paired with black and white polka dots……thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great to see you! xoxoxo Sara

27. Judi says

I think its lovely…and I think the blurring gives it more character. If you didn’t tell anyone you hadn’t meant to do it we would never have thought any different. Lovely.
    Great tutorial. Now I have to try it..
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day
    Judi

28. KimberlyGrommes says

I keep coming back to this article! I want to try this! (I can’t find Dimensional Magic anywhere in town. I keep asking over and over again at JoAnn’s, I think they might be getting annoyed with me.) Will have to buy some online.

I love the blurring of the bird, I think the whole project is beautiful!

29. that Red Headed Step Child says

I think it looks great, love the bird drawing.

I have NO IDEA what dimensional magic is…

Hopping over from T&J…

30. melanie ann says

I love the blurring! I did shrinky dinks with my 2.5 year old daughter the other day with sharpies. It was way different than I remember & my mom agreed. We had a princess jewelry kit & I was making plans to do some more that were not from a kit before we were done.

31. KimberlyGrommes says

I have kept this tab open in my browser for weeks and finally tried making one of my own. I tried a second one with colored pencil. On the pencil version, the brown blurred, but not the blue! I still like both though. :)

32. otter says

Awww. Don’t beat yourself up too much. This came out great, mistake or no. ;) If you, or your readers, want to avoid future heartbreak, here’s a couple of hints and tricks I use. Get some spray fixative from the store and kit that bad boy before you modgepodge over it. Also, and this is a trick I LOVE, put your pan in the oven while you are pre-heating. Your pan will be hot when you put the dink on it to cook and that stops a LOT of the curling. It will make them a lot easier to deal with. Take the flat bottom of a glass and smush them as soon as they come out of the oven to make them as flat as possible. Hope that helps!

33. Shannon Quinn says

This is awesome! My 5 yr old daughter got a pack of this for Christmas from my parents as a stocking stuffer. Gonna play with it with her tonight. I was born in 86 and actually didnt even know what this stuff was!

I like the blurriness of the bird- looks intentionally cool! Anyway, to keep the design from blurring in the future, you might want to try painting a thin layer of elmer’s glue on top of the pendant (after it’s done cooking) to create a barrier and then apply to the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. Hope that helps and keep up the great work!

35. lee ness says

I like this also. I would not change a thing in it. Love the colors and the stripes and the swallow.

36. lee ness says

I like this. It is really neat simple. Love the colors and strips and the bird being a swallow. Sometimes mistakes turn out to be a good thing!

Your pendant is really pretty! May I ask what kind of circle cutter you used? I’m looking for a circle cutter for shrinky dink in 1 3/4 inches. Any helpful tips on where to find one would be appreciated! Thank you!

I think the blurring is awesome and looks totally intentional. It adds more texture and dimension. It also adds more color. It has sort of an overlay or screen printed look.

• says

Hi Anonymous! It’s because it shrank. The colors do that when you shrink them. The particles come together and make a darker color. It still looks kinda brown in real life, but black in photos.

I think it looks great like that. I just wish i could do this, I havent had much luck with the shrink products. The never seem to turn out like the instruction.

It’s perfect! I was once told that the way to know something was truly hand-crafted was by the small errors within the finished project. I thought you created this effect on purpose until you pointed it out. Love it!

I love it… the blured bird looks like you planned it that way… I tried the same thing on a color pencil project and it faded it in ramdom spots ruinning my piece…… I was glad to see this one, it gives me the gumption to give it another go :) thank you for sharing…

42. deanna wynn says

I love this! I want to try this myself. Thanks for sharing your photos! This gives me the motivation to make my own shrinky dink pendant necklace.

43. Carolyn says

I love the blurred bird! Wouldn’t have known it wasn’t intentional if you didn’t say. Keeper.

44. julie says

I love it! You can save money by using # 6 plastic that you probably already have in your kitchen to make your own shrinky dinks. Check clear food packages (grocery store muffins, salads and party trays) for the #6 recyclable symbol, then proceed with shrinky dink instructions.

45. tori says

I love the blurring better because it makes it stand out more. It pops. Really pretty. Never played with any modge podge before but I sure am seeing a lot of stuff with it now………… ;-)

46. Kess says

This is really cool looking. And I think I like the washed out bird better. You can still see the lines, but it gives it a watercolor feel. Weird the brown didn’t bleed, but it looks great. WEAR.

47. Angela says

I love how the bird glows! I clicked because I wanted to know how to make it do that. Best mistake ever!

48. miriam Diamond-barber says

I use Glossy Accents by Ranger. Buy it from AC Moore. They have the best price. It has never blurred the Sharpie(on the shiny side) or Crayola oiled based pastels(on the scratchy side) on the Shrinky Dink Rough n Ready version. I put the Accents on front and back and it looks 3D. I also have used my diecut machine to cut and emboss the plastic. It’s amazing stuff!
    Miriam

1. […] is a perfect outfit without the perfect necklace? This Shrinky Dink pendant necklace by Amy Anderson is the finest accessory to your style whether it is casual, elegant, business, etc. […]

2. […] Make your own Shriny Dink Necklace here: […]