Make your own doily wall art.

Doily wall art

I’ve been wanting to make doily wall art for a long time, especially after I saw this doily art by my friend Jen at Tatertots and Jello. My only problem was that I didn’t have any old doilies, and I didn’t want to use white ones. So I had to wait for the perfect situation to come along, and it did – I found colored doilies in the $1 bin at Michaels this past week. Then I found the perfect paper to match in the scrapbooking aisle. My doily art was born. Here’s how to decoupage your own.

Gather These Supplies

12″ x 12″ canvases
$1 doilies
Mod Podge Satin and Fabric
FolkArt paint – Sky Blue, Turner’s Yellow (or coordinating colors)
Scrapbook paper – I used Making Memories Spring paper
Craft knife and mat
Paintbrush

Here are the canvases I used. You can typically get a “two-fer” pack on these which reduces the price a little.

Here are the doilies. Look for them in these plastic bags in the $1 section. Why did I take pictures of my supplies? I don’t know.

The paper sheets were 12″ x 12″, same size as the canvases. I wanted to take off a bit so that you could see the paint around the edges of the canvases, so I trimmed down to 11.5″ square. Set aside.

Paint the edges of the canvases with your coordinating colors. Give several coats and allow to dry.

Dump Mod Podge in the middle of the canvas. No, seriously! You’re going to want a medium layer of Mod Podge and it dries quickly, so get a bunch on there on start speading.

You have to work quickly, and get the corners well. Tip: you should probably use a bigger brush. It will help you smooth faster. Lay the paper down and smooth thoroughly – wipe away any Mod Podge that comes out the edges. Canvas is flexible, so I always turn the canvas over and smooth on the backside as well. Allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes. Repeat with your second canvas.

Decoupage over the top of your paper; coat the sides of the canvas as well. Allow to dry and then give a second coat. Allow to dry.

I used my thick Mod Podge Fabric to add dots here and there on the doily. I didn’t coat the whole thing with Mod Podge, just areas, especially around the edges since they curl.

I placed the doily onto the canvas and then rolled it out with my brayer to get it to stick. You’ll see the Mod Podge through the doily, but don’t worry – that will dry clear. Allow the canvases to dry for a few hours before hanging.

Put your doily art in a special place. I love my new wall decor, and it’s perfect for spring! The doilies came in pink or purple too, so head to Michaels and get your doily on.

Mod Podge RSS Feed

Comments

Cool, wonder if the paper doilies would work then I could paint those too? Has anyone tried?

Better yet, once this room is organized to find everything, I’ll try cutting one myself and Mod Podge it like this. Thank you so much for this idea, I’ve been trying to think of something for one wall I have this will be perfect.

2. Moe says

Oh these are nice! I have so many doilies I’ve made & have no idea what to do with them. I love crocheting them, but never know what else to do…I may have to make some of these :)

3. Parrotts says

Super cute! Makes me get sentimental…I really wish I’d valued my grandma’s crochet skills and learned from her before she passed (although I was a foolish teenager then)…or at least kept our pets from attacking the doilies I had from her! I’ll be making a trip to Michael’s soon :)

4. Mall Rat says

I love them !! You are such a hoot. I’ll have to get to Michaels and get my doily on :) Happy Friday

5. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says

they look amazing!! I still don’t understand how you work so amazingly with mod podge, I always get bubbles, never fails.

6. janine says

I love these, Amy!! And thanks for taking pictures of your supplies—it helps sometimes to know what to look for when it’s something I don’t normally buy. Sometimes I can roam around the store for an hour looking for something. And, yes. I’m kind of like a guy in this respect—I hate asking….lol

Love, love, love it! And you found those colored doilies for $1? There’s no machine that can crochet, so just imagine that someone made those by hand! Love the paper backgrounds too, and thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday! xoxoSara

8. Olga says

That’s a great idea. Looks very cute. I love doilies and have several, but the idea of framing them never occurred to me. Thank you for sharing it.

9. PartyMom says

Adorable! I’ve seen so many great doily crafts lately, and it’s awesome! Here’s another cost-saving tip: If you want to have 12 x 12 wall art, but don’t want the expense of canvases, Michael’s usually has 12 x 12 pieces of unfinished wood for a pretty cheap price. Just add a wall hanger to the back!

10. this blessed nest says

these look awesome!

i especially love the color combinations together!

happy weekend!

kellie

11. Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com says

I really like these. I love the way you give your projects such a nice, finished look. It’s like you already knew what they were going to look like when you started!! :)

I’m linking up to these next week.

12. Daniella says

AWESOME!!
    I’m here from the Sunday Spotlight party, and in my party post, I asked if anyone had any ideas for the doilies I have, to please let me know, and YOU HAVE THE GREATEST IDEA!!

Thanks so much for sharing, and giving me the best idea!!

xxDaniella

13. Caitlin says

Thank you so much for sharing this with the FaveCrafts blog hop. I love how they turned out! Would you be interested in publishing this on the FaveCrafts site? Let me know and I’d be happy to give you more information.

Thanks again,

Caitlin
    Editor, FaveCrafts

14. Sara says

Hi Amy. I love this idea. Maybe some of the ladies at Tangled Happy would like to make their doilies into wall art. Linking up next week. Thanks for sharing this idea! :)

15. Kathleen says

Came to your post via Sara at Tangled Happy. Love your doily art and the tutorial is clear and well-written. The pictures really help a visual learner like me, too.

16. Jeanne says

I am a HUGE MODGE PODGE FAN, HATE TO TELL YOU HOW LONG I HAVE BEEN USING IT~~SERIOUSLY~~I did my own doily rendition but mine was with vintage lace, a wooden plaque from Walnut Hollow and an old Embroidery Pattern from an Vintage Workbasket magazine, modge podged the plaque, added the pattern in the center and 1 piece of lace on top and 1 on the bottom. Turned out AWESOME. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR TECHNIQUE.

Hi there,
    Love this idea for doilies but my paper warped when wet. How do I fix this?

• says

Hi there! It’s not necessarily easy to Mod Podge paper to canvas. You have to use A LOT of Mod Podge. You also have to smooth from the inside of the canvas (turn it over). if you haven’t seen my videos, they should help as well: youtube.com/modpodgerocks

18. The Chubby Dove says

these are adorable!

i inherited a bunch of vintage doilies and have been trying to figure out what to do with them.

thanks for the idea.

xo

What a fun idea! I have several doilies from my grandma that are just sitting in drawers. I need to turn them into artwork like this!

1. [...] Another cool idea for a DIY project with a minimum of effort and money is to create  doily wall art. We don’t use anymore doilies as our grandmother would, mostly because the new modern trend of furniture and appliances doesn’t  match  their style, this doesn’t mean that they are not still pretty and good looking. Taking these wonderful elements and introducing them our modern home will take some preparation. You’ll need some canvas, paint, scrapbook paper and simple tools. The result is amazing and will create a  nice focal point in your room. What a great overall décor, isn’t it?{found on mod}. [...]