Mod Podge DIY charm bracelet tutorial

Mod Podge DIY charm bracelet tutorialI’m telling you right now – you don’t have enough jewelry. I know you think you do, but really, you don’t. So I’m here to help you make more. Two things influenced the creation of this DIY charm bracelet: 1) I’ve been trying to spice up my wardrobe, as I mentioned a few months ago and 2) Plaid has new Mod Podge products! The fancy new products include new formulas as well as Podgeables, which are fun surfaces to decoupage on. The line includes these charms.

Mod Podge DIY charm bracelet tutorialI’m always skeptical about new product in general. I’m going be to honest, I can be negative. “Why do I need anything new?” I ask myself. Um, you need these Podgeable surfaces. They are so fun and easy to craft with. I get messages from beginning Mod Podgers all the time telling me they are having trouble with wrinkles. I highly recommend starting with a charm bracelet like this. You won’t get wrinkles. And you won’t believe how simple it was to put together.

Gather These Supplies

IMG_5869Here are your two best friends in this project. I’ll tell you why you need the traceable shapes in a moment.

IMG_5870Prepare the fabric with Mod Podge. That means paint a medium layer on it and let it dry. It will make it easy to cut, and no fraying.

IMG_5871This is where the templates come in handy. If you trace around the outside of the shapes and cut them, the shape is slightly too big and you have to trim down. The templates match the shapes – except when I traced and cut them, the pieces fit just right and no trimming.

IMG_5873This is the fun part. Decoupage the fabric to the back of the charm.

IMG_5876Position your charm on top of the fabric and press down. If you misplaced the charm, simply peel the fabric off quickly, add a bit more Podge to the charm and then press down again. Let dry.

IMG_5877So here’s the optional part. I thought it might be a fun accent to add polka dots around the edges of the charms. I did it with paint and a stylus. I know, but I couldn’t help myself!

IMG_5878Once everything is dry, add Dimensional Magic to the top.

IMG_5880Let it dry in a relatively warm area. Don’t put a fan on it – it will crack! You have to be patient it takes awhile. But it’s worth it. The DM adds a shiny, epoxy look to the project.

IMG_5889Add your charms to the chain. I had originally done six charms but realized while I was working that I only wanted five. Isn’t it awesome being the boss of your own crafts?

Mod Podge DIY charm bracelet tutorial

Mod Podge DIY charm bracelet tutorialNow wear your jewelry out to your next picnic or queen’s ball. Aren’t the cherries perfect for summer? One thing I also love about the shapes is that they are lightweight. I can’t stand heavy jewelry.

For another summer bracelet option, this recycled t-shirt bracelet idea is fun:

recycled-tshirt-bangles2

Mod Podge newsletter

Comments

1. monica. says

I have been having one major problem using regular glossy mod podge and the dimensional magic to do something like this. I put pictures of our family on a dog tag for my husband. He’s been wearing it under his shirt and it melted. Is there another product that has a higher heat tolerance? I also put another family picture on his notebook that goes in his pocket and that melted too. It’s really making me sad that I made those things and they don’t hold up. Any suggestions?

• says

Hi Monica! Dimensional Magic is acrylic based – acrylic based products are not meant to necessarily hold up to extreme temperatures. Your husband must be hot blooded ;D The great thing about acrylic though is that it’s non-toxic.

For your uses you are going to have to use EnviroTex Lite – it’s a real resin with two chemicals that you’ll have to mix with gloves on. It’s fine once it’s dry, just don’t let kids play with it.

As far as the notebook, EnviroTex probably won’t work on it, so I’m not sure what to tell you about that. Is he overseas?

• Anonymous says

For the notebook, if it’s pocket size you could probably just use clear packing tape. I have “collaged” the covers of a couple of composition notebooks over the years using glue to stick the pictures to the surface and then covering with packing tape. It’s very durable and if you don’t mind the clear seams, you can cover larger areas with it. If you want a seamless look I would suggest using contact paper or cold-laminating sheets.

2. Marie says

Is the outdoor Mod Podge product waterproof? If it is (and non-toxic), that might be work.

• says

Hi Marie! Yes, essentially it is. And non-toxic. If the conditions you live in are really extreme, you should add an outdoor sealer on top for extra protection.

3. Whitney says

I usually shy away from jewelry projects, but you made this look simple enough that I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the step by step! :)

4. creativejewishmom/sara says

Great charm bracelet Amy! thanks so much for sharing on Craft schooling Sunday!

After seeing this bracelet on your blog I decided to go out and get all the supplies to make the bracelet. I was successful and it turned out really cute (very easy too) only thing is I was very disappointed once I got home to realize only about 6 of the 18 “podgeable shapes” had a hole pre punched in it. The others are just plain shapes. Do you have any ideas of things I can do with these shapes?? I am new to the whole modge podge world and very enthusiastic. Just kind of bummed as I thought I would be able to make at least 3 or 4 bracelets with these shapes. I even bought enough jewelry supplies to make 3-4 bracelets.

• says

Hi Anonymous! Do you have a drill? The shapes are very easy to drill – even with a hand drill. The reason for the non-holes in some is that a lot of people use them for home dec and crafts as well (not all want to do jewelry), so it’s easier to provide a lot with no holes and have people drill then to provide them all with holes and some people wouldn’t be able to use them at all.

Hey Amy! I totally love your mod podge projects and I would love to try them, but there is a big problem! There is no mod pogde available in my country :( I was so sad to find that out. I even contacted a bloger who lives in my country and she uses modpodge. I was so disappointed when she conformed the mod podge is not available in my country. What should I do? I tried using the Elmers white craft glue while making this bracelet but the results were not the satisfying.

Hello! i want to check whether dimensional magic can be applied directly to fabric. I made a scrap fabric ring and glued beads to it and was thinking that the dm would be great on it too. Thanks!

• says

Hi Agy! I have not tried that but it’s definitely worth a try. I’m not sure what it would do – it CAN be applied directly to fabric but I don’t know if it would cause the fabric to wrinkle. Let me know if you try it!

8. Kay Hyde says

This is wonderful! :) I love DIY stuffs and I will try to grab some materials for this! Thanks for sharing your idea.

1. […] a Beaded Pin Bracelet by The Pin Junkie  DIY Dyed wooden Bead Necklace by The Sits Girls Make a Mod Podge Charm Bracelet by Mod Podge Rocks Perler Bead Earrings by The Thinking Closet Felt Pendant Necklace by Audrey […]