Boden floral Dimensional Magic pendant.

Dimensional Magic Floral Pendant - make by scanning your favorite image!

It’s the last week of the Flip-Pal™ mobile scanner blog hop, and I got smart in making this Dimensional Magic pendant. I realized that with the size of the scanner I could bring it anywhere – so last week, off to work it went with me. You didn’t know it was “Bring Your Scanner to Work Day,” did you? I have an enormous purse; maybe you do too. My little scanner fits inside my enormous purse. I was able to bring it to work (and on my lunch hour, of course) flip through some catalogs I liked and find some images. Turns out I love the cover of the latest Boden catalog, so that became the background of my necklace. It wasn’t my catalog to cut up, so I scanned it. Just in case you need a reminder, here is my little helper friend:

Back to the pendant. I’ve been so into jewelry making lately (what’s come over me?) that I decided I needed a necklace. If I’m going to wear something around my neck, I want it to be a statement piece. I go bold with nearly everything, so why not jewelry? I also love it that I can now, with my handy dandy scanner, turn any pattern I like into something to be Mod Podged. Here’s how to make my pendant necklace.

Gather These Supplies

Flip-Pal™ mobile scanner
Computer and printer
Image to scan
DIY Bangles – 2″ pendant disc
Mod Podge Gloss
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
FolkArt acrylic paint - Blue Ribbon (or coordinating colors)
Martha Stewart Microbeads in Feldspar
Making Memories Metal Flowers
Jewelry making stuff – loop, chain, clasp
Scissors
Pencil or pen
Paintbrush

Scan your catalog on your Flip-Pal. I have a secret – I’m at work but NOT on my lunch break. Mwahahahaha! I love the portability of my scanner. And it’s so small that I can cover it with a spreadsheet if someone walks up.

Print out the design onto a piece of copy paper. If you have a laserjet printer, you can cut out and Mod Podge as is. If you have an inkjet printer, you’ll need to seal the paper with clear acrylic spray sealer before Mod Podging, or it will smear. Trace your pendant flat side down onto your design.

Cut the paper out and make sure that it fits your pendant. Adjust if you need to. Set the paper aside.

Paint your pendant with Blue Ribbon (or your coordinating color). Give several coats and allow to dry.

Add a medium layer of Mod Podge to the top of the pendant. Place the paper on top and smooth throughly. Wipe away any Mod Podge that squeezes out the sides. Let the pendant dry for 15 – 20 minutes.

Mod Podge over the top of the paper seal. Allow to dry and then add another coat of Mod Podge. At this time I poked a hole where the pendant hole was – I used some random sharp object. I forget what, but a paper clip or pin will work.

I had some coordianting Martha Stewart microbreads so I added them to give the project a little texture. Add some Mod Podge in the areas you want the beads and sprinkle directly on top (works just like glitter). Allow to dry.

Finally, add Dimensional Magic to the top of the pendant, right over the beads. Right after I applied the DM I stuck the metal flower directly onto the pendant. The DM will dry and it will be held in place. It takes several hours for DM to dry, so be patient - also leave it in a relatively warm area. It cracks if it’s in a cold room.

To make your pendant a necklace, add the jewelry stuff. Or if you are like me and are completely spent from Mod Podging, find someone like Candie Cooper to do it for you. I’m pleased with the finished piece, especially the texture I got with the beads and metal flowers. What do you think?

Mod Podge newsletter

Comments

1. Jewels by Trish- Handmade Jewelry- Artisan: Trish says

Love this!! Would have never thought to put the microbeads on it! Nice, nice!!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas & how-tos!! :)

2. Tanya says

The mobile scanner looks amazing. I have always just taken a photo of what i like and use that, but this would be so much better, sharper, crisper, truer color!

3. Melissa P says

Love all the different things in this project–scanner, mod podge, micro beads, DM, jewelry findings. Wow.

I just love all the fun and interesting projects you all have shown for using the Flip-Pal! Owning one is not an option.. it’s a necessity!

5. Melanna says

I’ve never made jewelry, but I think I want to. And I also don’t own modpodge (should I duck and run for cover?). But as I see all the stuff you can DO with it. I just may need to make me a necklace! Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

6. Andrea says

For the inkjet printers, can you tell me what the spray sealant is I need to get?

Also where can I get a chain like that for the pendant – I love the chain used on yours! I have never made jewelry before so besides the chain, what do I need? I would like as nice as quality as possible!

Thanks!

Hi Andrea! Any clear acrylic sealer in gloss, matte or satin will do – though Plaid does make a Mod Podge one you can buy at WalMart:

And Patricia Nimocks is available at several craft stores:

As far as what you need for jewelry, you can get everything from a craft store. You’ll need a pendant to Mod Podge on (mine is wood), a chain (I got mine from JoAnns, it’s just a regular silver chain), some silver loops and then a silver closure. You may need some basic jewelry tools if you want to make a lot of necklaces. I just winged it! A great blog by a friend of mine who does a lot of jewelry and can help you more is http://www.candiecooper.com. Good luck!

8. Terri @ A Creative Princess says

Hi, Amy. I just discovered Dimensional Magic and have been playing with it a lot! I did a paint chip necklace today but haven’t posted it yet. Your necklace was awesome!

9. Red Couch Recipes says

This is very cute and artsy. Haven’t heard of DM before — have to give it a whirl. Joni

10. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do says

So cool – I bought some Dimensional Magic as soon as I heard about it, but haven’t done anything yet. I really like the idea of embedding things and obviously it turns out gorgeous. Never occurred to me & now the possibilities are endless!!

11. Dawn says

Very creative and fashionable as well. Never hear of the scanner you used, so I also learned something new.

12. WendyR says

OMG! I am a confessed newbie to Mod Podge. I saw a couple of canvas projects at a craft fair last weekend and have been DYING to do it myself. With great tips from several projects in your SUPER blog I am headed to the craft store today and will create my first Mod Podge masterpiece, a gift for my son’s preschool teacher. Can’t wait for the store to open!

13. Terrell Delgado says

can you tell me what the pendant is made of? I thought a piece of wood, but not sure about the mod podge on that… thanks in Advance… Terrell

14. Lisa G says

This is a great project! I’m curious tho…how do you keep the DM from dripping over the side of your pendant?

• Amy says

Hi Lisa! Actually DM has great surface tension . . . so as long as you don’t go crazy and get TOO close, it just stays there :D