Mod Podge DIY storage bin

DIY storage bin made with Mod PodgeWhen I one day have the craft room of my dreams, there will be so many organizational bins that it will look like the warehouse at the end Raiders of the Lost Arc. I’d love everything to have its place, and if it did I’m completely convinced that I would be able to be more effective in my crafting . . . the creativity would churn out more quickly because I would know exactly what I have. A girl can dream, can’t she? Here are the instructions for bin #328.

Gather These Supplies

• FolkArt Acrylic Paint – Bright Baby Pink, Turquoise, Yellow Citron
  • Mod Podge Satin
  • Wood Storage Bin
  • 2” Wood Balls – 4
  • My Mind’s Eye Scrapbook Paper – 4 sheets, 2 each of 2 designs
  • Turquoise Ribbon – 1 roll
  • Paper Flowers – 4 coordinating (I used Prima)
  • Pink Buttons – 2
  • 1” Flat Paint Brush
  • Craft Glue
  • Craft Knife and Mat
  • Pencil
  • Scissors

1. I always trace the shapes for my finished project first. Why? Because if pencil marks get on my surface, then I can paint over them. Start by tracing one side of the bin on the four sheets of paper. Set those sheets aside –you’ll cut them while the paint is drying on your project.
2. If you haven’t noticed, I fancy colorblocking. On the storage bin, paint the inside Turquoise, two sides Yellow Citron and two sides Bright Baby Pink. Paint the bottom whatever color you want – I painted it Turquoise. You will have to paint several coats of all colors. Allow to dry.
3. While the bin is drying, paint the wood balls Turquoise. Allow to dry.
4. You are now going to cut the paper. Measure approximately 1/8” inside your trace line on all four pieces from step 1 and trim them down using the craft knife.
5. When your bin is dry, adhere these four pieces to the sides using the Mod Podge. Work one side at a time. Completely smooth out all air bubbles and allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Coat the entire bin with at least two coats of Mod Podge. Coat the inside and the wood balls as well. Allow to dry completely.
7. Glue the wood balls to the four corners of the bottom with the craft glue. Allow to dry.
8. Cut the ribbon to fit two opposite sides as you see in the photo. Start with one side and glue the pieces down with craft glue about 1/2″ apart. Glue some paper flowers down in the center and then add a button to finish. Allow this side to dry before turning bin over and doing the same to the other side.
9. Allow the storage bin to dry for at least 24 hours before using.

Mod Podge newsletter

Comments

1. Lanie says

Oh my gosh! This is so cute! I would love to do some of these for my craft room and my daughter’s rooms. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone! No, I don’t sell my stuff. I wonder if I should?

I got this bin used from a friend. BUT – I think I’ve seen something like this at Hobby Lobby. If you have an AC Moore around, they might too!

3. Natasha says

Don’t you just love “stitch n bitch”! One of my favs although I haven’t picked up my needles in forever.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, after coming to yours I have a ton of new mod podging ideas!

This is so pretty and colorful, I love it! I’ll be linking.

5. pam says

I love this idea! I have been diligently saving every large food container that has crept into my house these past few months thinking to transform them into some sort of storage in the craft room. So far they are just stacking up in the garage! NOW I know exactly what to do with them! Thank you! And my craft room thanks you!

6. The Duckworth Family says

Well good thing I live in a dinky town with no Hobby Lobby. But, for a LOT cheaper anyway, I bet I could get the wood at HOme Depot and just make my own box. wish me luck because that is SO stankin cute!

7. Petit Elefant says

I have that *Stitch and Bitch* knitting book and I have to say it’s my favorite tutorial book ever. Love a little comedy thrown in with the crafting.

8. Cecily says

That turned out fantastic! Really just love the whole thing… the colors are amazing.

9. Jennifer says

I love the colors and the little “feet” really take this up a notch. (Ha ha, in more ways than one, I guess.) Looks wonderful!

10. Traveling Thrifter says

Oh My…can I just say I love it…and that stitch n *itch book that’s tucked inside…I seen her on a show once she’s an awesome knitter and such

11. Jen says

Too cute! I’m going to have to make this for my step daughters! Thanks for sharing…and sooo many cute things all over your blog, love it!

jen @ messhalltobistro.blogspot.com

12. ★All Thingz Related★ says

Thanks for joining us for another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

13. Simply Decorate says

Another cute project! It’s so eye-catching. Would love to have that for my daughter’s room!

14. Kat @ Black Kats Design says

The little ball feet make it too cute! I just ADORE your blog, by the way.

I’m having a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday” starting the 29th. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. I’d love for you to stop by and join in!
    Kat

15. Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy says

SO cute! I like storage bins too! This turned out great. I really need to find me some bins! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

1. […] Scrap Shoppe Blog 6. CD Visor from Instructables 7. Vintage Book Planter from Cottage Hill Blog 8. Storage Bin from Modge Podge Rocks Blog 9. Cinnamon Honey Butter and Toffee Popcorn from Life In Grace Blog 10. Cold Process Soap from […]