Yes, even a ceiling fan can be decoupaged.

How to decorate fan blades with Mod Podge

Decoupaged fan blade
Hi Podgers! Lynette from Get Your Craft On came up with this wonderful ceiling fan idea, and I wanted to let her tell you about it in her own words. I really think it’s fabulous. So here she is:

I can honestly say that, as far as I know, I came up with this idea all on my own! That really is a lot to be said since most of the time I can’t take complete credit for anything! Usually I see a cute idea and copy it and make it my own. But, THIS FAN!! I think maybe I might have, could have, hopefully did really come up with this all by myself (notice my still lacking confidence). So, when we were finishing our basement and finishing up projects in my favorite room in the house, my hubby was installing a ceiling fan. As he was about to put the blades on the hole fan base part, a light bulb went off in my head! I asked him “would it hurt the fan or start it on fire if I added some fabric or paper or something to those blades?”. He thought I was crazy, but couldn’t think of a reason why it should mess anything up. So, I delayed him from finishing his installation so I could snazzy-up those fan blades. Here’s what I did:

Materials needed: paper (I used scrapbook paper and needed one 12″x12″ piece for each fan blade), mod podge (I used Matte finish), hole punch, sponge brush (the cheap-o ones at Michael’s Craft store)

1.) If you are using scrapbook paper (12″x12″) cut in in half and tape it together end to end to make it long enough. Make sure whatever the print on the paper is, that you are able to match it up pretty good so you can’t see the line. Wrapping paper may work well b/c you won’t have to piece it together.

2.) Lay fan blade face-down on back of paper.

3.) Trace around fan blade and also trace inside the holes where it will be attached to the rest of the fan later.

4.) Cut out fan blade shape from paper. Check your fan and see if the edge is curved a little, if so, cut out shape a bit inside the lines.

5.) With paper punch, punch out holes that will be used to screw blades onto fan. I used this scrapbooking punch:

6.) Wipe down surface of fan blade and spread on a thin layer of Mod Podge or watered down white glue.

7.) Lay down paper on fan blade making sure to line up all edges and punched holes just right. Smooth out all bubbles or wrinkles (I did not do this well, you can learn from my mistake :) Let dry 20-30 mins.

8.) If needed, trim excess paper from around fan blade with Xacto knife.

9.) Coat the top of the blade with the paper on it with Mod Podge. Make sure to do the edges and holes too.

10.) Let dry.

11.) Do a few more coats of Mod Podge, making sure to let dry thoroughly in between coats.

12.) Once they’re all dry, go attach the blades to your ceiling fan and see how it livens up the room…so fun!

I can only imagine how fun this could be to tie in your ceiling fan with the room decor! It could be spunky or subdued, sparkly or subtle….so many possibilities!

Comments

1. We Are Owned By ModPodge says

We did this in our son’s nursery 2 years ago and it was a big hit.

Everyone wanted to know where I bought a fan to match the crib bedding (we made it too).

So fun and original!

2. JAZ Creations ~ Digital Art by Christine says

What a GREAT idea! Definately going to remember this when I redo my boys rooms! Thanks!

3. Michele Stall says

You are one talented lady. I love this fan. I’ve got quite the “I want to make that too” list going of projects you post. Thank you for the inspiration & I agree mod podge does rock!

4. redeemed diva says

Ooh! That’s wild! I like it. Please count this as my entry to the giveaway! I love your blog!

5. thegecko says

THANK YOu! i have this tragically blah ceiling fan that i got on freecycle for my kids’ room, but it was free! so now im off to buy scrapbook papers to jazz it up before we install it

6. Miss Mandi says

Hahaha, wow.

You know, it’s kind-of obvious now to decorate a fan, but, who the heck has done it? How many people remodel their ceiling?

This is definitely an original. Well, not for long, at least! (:,’

OMG!! This is FANTASTIC! What a great idea and it looks awesome. I enjoy her fabric choice and she did a great job describing the process! Thanks for the inspiration!

8. shanelle says

OMG, LOVE THIS!!! I’ve been looking for inexpensive & unique ways to decorate the baby-to-be’s nursery. This is perfect. Thank-you! :)

9. Morgan Memories says

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! I have a playroom ceiling fan that is just itching for a redo. I can’t wait!

10. Char says

I saw this on her blog a while back and was just thinking about it this morning in the tub. I think I’m going to attempt it on my daughter’s fan this afternoon, but with fabric instead of paper. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

11. :::b r a n d i::: says

oh my word! Cute! I would only be concerned about the fan maintaining it’s balance because of the varying weight on each blade from the mod podge, but it’s an excellent idea!

12. Kristen says

love this idea!!!! wish i knew how to take the fan down in my bedroom! (though maybe it’s best I don’t, lol. i can see lots and lots of time lost to this project :D love it!)

13. Dani says

I love it! I may have to do this to my daughter’s room! Her fan is just plain white. Since we are painting her walls I could find paper to match! I can’t wait!

14. Firesong says

I just love this. I wonder if I could talke my husband into letting me do this. I’m not holding my breath though.

15. Firesong says

I love this. I wonder if my husband would let me do this in our bedroom. I’m not holding my breath.

16. Valerie says

You’re so clever! We have a plain white fan in the livingroom that could totally use some livening up. Thanks for posting this! I think I may have to attempt this project. :)