A fabric covered DIY storage box for my yarn

Mod Podge fabric covered storage binHello, my name is Amy. (Hello Amy.) I’m writing this because I have a yarn addiction. You see, one of my other loves besides decoupage is knitting. Unfortunately my knitting ability is not quite as quick as my spending money ability, so I’ve built up quite a stash. With nothing very special to hold it.

After several years of juggling everything around in canvas totes, I finally have plastic bins in the closet. Still though, some yarn for current projects must be left out, in the open, but yet still stored in something. Enter this pear DIY storage box. I provide to you below the instructions, and I hope you consider it for any craft thing that you have an addiction to, and that you need to store.

Gather These Supplies

• FolkArt Acrylic Paint – Grass Green, Teal (I’d get 3 of each)
  • Mod Podge Fabric and Mod Podge Gloss
  • MPI Wood Storage Bin
  • 3” Wooden Ball
  • Robert Kaufman “Fruit Basket” Fabric, Pear Brown – 1 yard
  • 1” Flat Paint Brush
  • Craft Glue
  • Craft Knife and Mat
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Wax paper
  • Acrylic sealer (optional)
  1. You will first want to prepare the fabric before painting. To do this, wash and dry the fabric (do not use fabric softener). Iron and then lay out on a covered work surface. Wax paper is preferable for covering your table. Using a brush, paint a light coat of Fabric Mod Podge onto your fabric. Allow to dry. This will allow you to cut the fabric like paper without frayed edges.
  2. While the fabric is drying, begin painting. Basecoat the inside of the bin and the lid with Teal. Allow to dry.
  3. Basecoat the outside of the bin and the wooden ball with Grass Green. Allow to dry.
  4. You are now going to cut the fabric. Lay the bin down on top of the fabric and trace one side four times. Cut these pieces out using the scissors.
  5. Measure approximately ½” inside your cut line on all four pieces and trim them down using the craft knife.
  6. Adhere these four pieces to the sides using the Gloss Mod Podge. Completely smooth out all air bubbles and allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes.
  7. Coat the entire bin with at least two coats of Gloss Mod Podge. Coat the lid and the wooden ball as well. Allow to dry.
  8. Go back to the handles on the storage bin and trim the fabric out with a craft knife.
  9. Glue the wooden ball to the center top of the lid with the craft glue.
  10. Allow the storage bin to dry for at least 24 hours before using. I recommend spraying with several coats of acrylic sealer to completely finish your project and add durability.

Comments

1. The Stylish House says

Amy,
    Neat project and I agree with the comment above, now I know how to keep my fabric from fraying!
    Cathy

2. MiMi says

Oh, this.is.CUTE!!
    I am fighting with some yarn right now and I need a place to put it that I don’t have to look at it! Gr.
    Macey

I never thought about the fabric fraying! Thanks for saving me a potential headache, as I normally use paper and wanted to try fabric.

It looks great!

Okay…I’ve never heard of fabric Mod Podge!

Also…is it better to let your project dry before putting the Mod Podge over the top? Does that make it ripple less? I have so much to learn!

Thank you everyone, for the great comments. And Xazmin, yes, to let the project dry will reduce the ripples. Wait about 15 – 20 minutes at least – 1 hour to be safe. This is especially true for paper. Check out my tips tag and my FAQs. I think it will help! Also feel free to e-mail me at any time!

Beautiful work! The colors are great! Decoupage and cartonnage are my hobby passions:-) Loved your blog.
    Big hug from Portugal
    AnaIsa

7. BroadviewInnovations says

Moving Home? At Smart Storage Boxes we offer a wide selection of moving boxes, packs, bubble wraps, foam protectors, loose fills,tissue papers with tapes and markers to meet your requirements. For details log on to http://smartstorageboxes.co.uk

8. Kim -today's creative blog says

You are so clever! I love that box. I must get my mod podge out and play more often.
    Please add a link back to TCB….actually I’m getting a complex…..I don’t see my blog listed anywhere……or your featured button. GASP! :) sniff sniff

9. abeachcottage says

Amy, your creation is awesome. I think the color combinations are great. They are very good to look at. Keep it up!

10. maleahbliss says

Hello, My name is Maleah and I have a yarn {and fabric} addiction too. ;)

This is super cute! I love your fabric choice!! :) I’d love for you to link this up to my linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday!
    LittleEme.blogspot.com

11. Rebeka Russell says

Cripes – I love your storage solution, especially your choice of material – the pear fabric is a favourite of mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

12. Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} says

this is so nice! I really like that pattern… Thanks for sharing.