Use simple materials from Home Depot to make a custom house number sign. It's easy with your favorite scrapbook papers, paints and Mod Podge!
I have the hardest time figuring out what side of the street a house is supposed to be on. I mean, is there a general rule for even or odd?
I can easy get to where I am supposed to go, but then when I finally arrive, I creep along trying to figure out why I can't find house numbers. Sometimes there are in fives, sometimes fours . . . there appears to be no rules. Is it just me?
I really appreciate a clear house number sign so that I can figure out where I'm going. Thank goodness for Man Podger David and of course, Outdoor Mod Podge – because now you make one yourself with simple materials from Home Depot. Here's David with the tutorial.
I live in Los Angeles, I don’t have a GPS and, honestly, I get lost a lot.
I’m always driving around hunting for street numbers while trying to simultaneously keep my eyes on the road but I’m a terrible multi-tasker.
I was recently wandering aisles at Home Depot (it’s what I do) and was inspired to make some house numbers that would be fun, decorative and easy to see.
I found these cool plinth block molding pieces (at the really cool price of $2.78 each), some inexpensive house numbers ($1.89 each) and a piece of scrap wood in their left-over pile near in the lumber cutting area. I added some scrapbook paper from my stash and I was all set.
DIY House Number Sign
- Outdoor Mod Podge
- Plinth Molding
- House Numbers
- Scrap wood cut to size and painted white (not pictured)
- Scrapbook Paper
- Spray Sealer (not pictured)
- Drill bit
I cut the scrap book paper to fit the raised section on the plinth and attached it using Outdoor Mod Podge.
After about 45 minutes I went back in and sealed the paper with more Outdoor Modpodge and let it dry overnight.
I laid the numbers on the plinths marked and drilled pilot holes and then attached the numbers using the screws provided in the kit.
Next I attached the number blocks to the scrapwood by screwing them in from the back.
For a little extra protection for the MDF plinths and the scrapwood I then sealed the entire thing with a couple of light coats of a spray on polyurethane (see note below).
I attached the whole thing to my fence (again screwing it in from the back).
So now people can find my house . . . even if I can’t find theirs . . .
I live in Los Angeles where rain and snow aren’t too much of a concern. My plinths are made from MDF, but if I were in a more weather-prone area I would opt for the maple wood plinths. They only cost $3.80 and would hold up better.