Add some love to your holiday decor with this DIY Valentine’s Day paper mache house! Alter with all sorts of pretty embellishments.
Hello, Mod Podge fans! My name is Jill Cornell, and I am very excited to share a DIY Valentine’s Day paper mache house with you today.
Every so often when I’m out and about shopping at my local craft stores, something will catch my eye that is begging to be altered. I don’t always get to it right away (as was the case for this sweet little paper mache house I brought home with me some time ago).
I was in the mood to create something lovey-dovey and out came this little house from my stash of items to alter and the XOXO collection by American Crafts. Here’s how I made this DIY Valentine’s Day craft.
DIY Paper Mache House
Gather These Supplies
- Mod Podge Matte
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
- Paper mache house
- American Crafts XOXO collection patterned paper, die-cuts, stickers, ribbon
- Maya Road stick pins
- pom pom trim
- May Arts ribbon
- Stampendous Shaved Ice glitter
- Hot glue
- Pink paint
- Craft knife
1) Dry brush the house with pink paint. Use a craft knife to trace and measure the roof and cut pieces from patterned paper (I used the 6×6 paper pad from the collection because the scale size of the patterns worked best for a small project like this).
Apply Matte Mod Podge to back of paper and adhere to house. Seal with a coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry.
2) Use a craft knife to trace and measure the house and cut pieces from patterned paper. Apply Matte Mod Podge to back of paper and adhere to house. Seal with a coat of Mod Podge and allow to dry.
3) Start embellishing the house – hot glue pom pom trim to the roof.
4) Wrap the house with two different styles of ribbon and tie in bows. Glue flower to center of bows. Press stick pins through edge of “All you need is love” tag and insert into flower and bows.
5) Apply Mod Podge Dimensional Magic on painted portion of roof and sprinkle with shaved ice glitter. Allow to dry.
6) Adhere heart die-cut to chimney and loopy border sticker (as smoke) to chimney. Adhere clouds die-cut to top of roof.
A sweet little lovey-dovey house! Just an idea, the roof of the house comes off – what a great place to leave a love note! Happy Valentine’s Day!
If you enjoyed this Valentine’s Day decor project, I’d love for you to check out these other ideas: