Man Podger Walter has outdone himself this time with his gorgeous, modern tree centerpiece. Walter . . . is this going into your Etsy shop? I think some of us want it!! I know I do. If I have to pick my favorite type of holiday decor, it’s the kind that’s simple and clean. Though I’ve been guilty of the more colorful, busy type of projects, the style just like Walter’s holiday tree centerpiece is my favorite. This project is not difficult, and you can see how awesome the results are; I’ll let Walter tell you how it’s done.
This is a easy project that can make a statement to any decor for the holidays. Use any type of shape for the tree and whatever papers you desire. I will show in this tutorial how I made this particular one.
Here are some of the basic supplies and tools you will need for this project:
• 2 Wood Taper Cups (can be found in the unfinished wood section of craft stores)
• Screws and screwdriver
• Cordless Drill with a counter sink bit (I used a drill press)
• 2 1/2″ x 7″ x 1/4″ piece of wood
• Elongated triangle shape 3″ x 9 3/4″ (Use any shape or form to your liking)
• 1″ wooden bead with a hole through it
• Mod Podge
Step 1: Prime all the pieces with FolkArt Titanium White.
• Let dry for about 20 minutes
Step 2: Trace the triangular shape onto your selected paper and cut.
• Do the same for the base as well
Step 3: Lay out all the shapes that have been cut out.
• Decoupage all the pieces and let dry for at least 15 minutes
Step 4: Paint the edges of the base with FolkArt Engine Red, then decoupage the top and bottom of the base. Let dry for 15 minutes.
Step 5: Once all the pieces are decoupaged you are ready to assemble. You have two options:
• You can use industrial glue to assemble everything OR: use a drill press with a countersink bit and drill three pilot holes. Next, attach the taper cups with a 1/2″ wood screw and a 2 1/2″ wood screw through the base, wood bead and tree to secure.
Step 6: Seal the whole piece with Mod Podge and let dry for at least 15 minutes. Add two taper candles and your project is complete!
That was fun, simple, and I like the way it came out. Remember to use whatever shape you like for the center and choose some interesting papers to Mod Podge. Have fun and enjoy this project!