Circus-themed stool – a moustache craft

Circus themed stool - a mustache craftI know I’m not the only one of you who loves a good moustache craft – they always make me smile, whenever I see them. I’ve been wanting to do a project incorporating one, but I wasn’t quite sure what to do until I got some of Imaginisce’s Animal Crackers line in the mail. Turns out this circus-themed paper has a little koala ringleader character with a sweet ‘stache, and it was a sign. As you can see I decorated my stool with a moustache and pennants, and I have an extra special secret.

I glittered the moustache. But more on that in a minute. Here’s how to decorate a circus-themed stool of your very own.

Gather These Supplies

IMG_3992The first step is about as easy as it gets. Paint the stool in a colorblocking fashion . . . give several coats and allow to dry.

IMG_3983Cut your paper to fit the top of your stool. At this time you’ll also want to cut out several mini-pennants for each side of the stool.  I did them freehand, and cut out a total of 16 (eight for each side). Set those aside.

Mod Podge the paper to the top of the stool, allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes and then put on a top coat. Don’t Mod Podge the entire stool yet.

IMG_4010To get my pennant line, I cut off a part of a plate and used it as a template to trace with my Silver Sharpie. There’s probably several other things you could use around the house to get a 1/2 circle, but that’s what I came up with.

IMG_4015Now you can Mod Podge down the mini-pennants. Place them out evenly to make sure you like the spacing before you Mod Podge them down. This paper is super thick and so you really don’t have to worry about wrinkles with it. You can Mod Podge on top of these small flags right after you Mod Podge them down (gasp!). Let everything dry.

IMG_4007I saved the fun part for last! I had no idea how to hand draw a moustache and have it look normal, so I found a free clip art image on the internet and sized it to fit my stool front panel.  I actually printed out two since I wanted the back to match. I then taped the clip art over the top of a piece of transfer paper and used a stylus (you can also use a pencil) to trace the outline of the image. Once you remove the paper you’ll have an awesome outline!

IMG_4009All you have to do is fill in your outline with Pure Black. I used a smaller brush for this part. You’ll need several coats. Once you are done with painting the moustaches (one on each side), let them dry and then give the whole stool two coats of Mod Podge. Allow to dry.

IMG_4009And here’s when the magic happens. I was going to leave the project, but I decided my project needed a little sparkle. I added Extreme Glitter in Black to the moustaches. I’m SO glad I did. The sparkle is perfect.

Don’t forget to finish up by gluing the buttons in between each mini-pennant. Let everything dry before you use the stool.

How to decorate a circus themed stoolHere’s a shot of the top. Don’t you love the circus ticket paper??? Oh, I rounded the corners for a little something special.

Circus themed stool - a mustache craftHere’s another view of the stool – you can see the buttons better in this shot. I’m so excited about my circus stool. It’s so cute. Now who should I give it to? Or should I keep it for myself . . .

If you like decorating stools, check out this fabric stoolcenterpiece footstool, apple stool or doily stool. Okay, I’m done saying “stool” now. It’s grossing me out.

Comments

1. Joyce says

Hello! I saw your feature on WWC. I’m a ModPodge newbie, but loving it! I look forward to seeing your projects! :-)

2. Hoot-n-Andy LLC says

I must admit….the moustache obsession the world has right now kind of annoys me (*let the tar and feathering begin, haha*), but I DO love this stool! Super cute paper- and the moustache actually works here. LOVE it :)

3. Plush Possum Studio says

LOL!!!! The moustache is a classic! Reminds me a bit of Salvador Dali!!!!!
    Rose

4. Tammy says

I’ve never had a “thing” for mustaches but putting them on the stool is adorable! I might have to try them out on a project or two now :)

5. Colleen @ MuralMaker&More says

Where have I been? Moustaches? As in “you must pay the rent, you must pay the rent!” You’re probably not old enough to remember that one {ggg}.

Darling project. Love the textures . . . and the colors! We seem to be on the same wavelength!

6. KAT says

love mustaches…only because my son wears a handle-bar type one from time to time…and he’s a sweety.
    KAT

7. donatella says

i guess i’m not the only one around here that’s a big fan of the circus! L.O.V.E. the stool, love it!

8. Sweet Little Smoothie says

Wow! The cutest stool ever!! I love those little buttons and the ‘stache of course!

9. Shane R. says

I love this stool! I think I might do something like this for gifts at Christmas this year. Thanks for the awesome idea!

10. Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating says

Aw so cute! I love the circus theme- it’s so bright and fun!

11. Cap Creations says

It is very cute! Love it and I have totally been on the lookout for a small stool like this. Even more so now! Thanks for sharing.

12. Libby says

Hahaha, I have a collection of mustaches and my niece just bought me a shirt that says ” I heart Mustaches.” Gets a little awkward around men with ‘staches, but I love it
    ! Love the colors you chose and I have been contemplating doing a step stool and now I have some inspiration! Thanks for sharing! I’m a new follower :)

This is the most fun stool ever! Thanks for sharing the details, I’ll be linking.

14. Daily Craft says

Great project! I just wanted to let you know that we featured this project on our Facebook page with over 19,000 fans. We’d love it if you’d use our Featured Blogger button, available at: http://www.dailycraft.com/thank-you-for-crafting/. Our audience loved the project and we look forward to sharing more from you. Please let us know if you have any questions or projects you’d love us to feature! Thanks!

1. […] Aftershave 26. Desktop Zen Garden 27. Cozy Socks 28. Suspenders 29. Comic Book Coasters 30. Step Stool 31. Candy Cane Trains 32. Home made glitter ornaments 33. Snowflake Message Frame 34.  Button […]