Instead of throwing away an old pair of kicks, learn how to revamp them with Mod Podge and glitter in this decoupage shoes project!
Skills Required: Beginner. You’ll be mixing glitter with Mod Podge and applying to shoes. If you have any hesitation, try on a test surface first.
Hi there! This is Holly from Club Crafted, and as a DIYer, I am terrible at throwing things away, even when it’s necessary. This is often the case with my clothes, which I’m convinced I’ll either fix or fit into one day.
I’ve owned a pair of blue flats that I’d worn to the point that the toes appeared misshapen and discolored, but I couldn’t bear to get rid of them, so instead I gave my shoes a makeover with Mod Podge and glitter!
These glitter heart toe decoupage shoes now feel like a new addition to my wardrobe because the imperfections were covered up! Because the toes of the shoes are pointed, they were perfect for creating a heart shape, and in just 15 minutes, my shoes were completely made over.
My shoes were a faux suede type of material, but this should work on most fabric types.
How to Seal Glitter on Shoes
Gather These Supplies
- Pointed toe shoes
- Mod Podge Gloss (or Mod Podge Outdoor if they need to be water resistant)
- Glitter (one or a combination of colors)
Step 1: Clean the shoes well before beginning your project. For decoupage shoes, you want the flats to be dry before starting. Scrub and air dry.
Step 2: Use the pencil to draw the outline of the heart on each toe. Use a paper template if needed to make each shoe appear the same shape/size.
Step 3: Paint a layer of Mod Podge on the heart you’ve just outlined. Immediately sprinkle your decoupage shoes with glitter. I used a combination of silver, white and blue glitter.
Once dry, your decoupage shoes are ready to wear! Even though sealing the glitter with Mod Podge makes the pattern last, some glitter may fall off over time. Reapply Mod Podge and glitter as needed to fill in any gaps.
- Pointed toe shoes
- Mod Podge Gloss
- Clean the shoes well before beginning your project. Scrub and air dry.
- Use the pencil to draw the outline of the heart on each toe.
- Paint a layer of Mod Podge on the heart you’ve just outlined. Immediately sprinkle your decoupage shoes with glitter.
- Set aside for the first layer of Mod Podge to dry completely. Then paint over the glitter with another layer of Mod Podge to seal it and let dry.
- Touch up any areas with a light application of Mod Podge and additional glitter. Let dry completely before wearing.
Use a paper template for your design if needed to make each shoe appear the same shape/size.
This DIY can make it feel like you got a new pair of shoes! If you’d like to see some related project, check out these posts: