Crafts for men: comic book DIY coasters.

DIY comic book coasters
Make coasters using comic books

It’s so hard for me to think of crafts for men! You may be like me and have a brother who loves comic books – in which case, geeky coasters are the perfect gift for said brother. And trust me, I’m not throwing stones. I’m a Star Wars fanatic. I even have a t-shirt (I wear it) that says “Be Nice to Nerds.” Haha!

I’m quite pleased with Man Podger David’s project because I know a lot of you are looking for gifts and project ideas for the men in your life. You’ll want to pay attention (especially if you’re a beginner); he also used an unusual surface for the base. Coupled with Outdoor Mod Podge, this project is a win.

—————-
If you’ve visited my Etsy store you know I’m the coaster guy. I have coasters of every style under the sun but they only come in one shape: square. So, I’m always looking for new possibilities and I was so happy when in the electrical/lighting section of Home Depot I came across these metal blanks that are made to cover up unused outlets ($1.40 each).

You can buy round wood or chip-board blanks for coasters but for me they are just too lightweight (nothing is more annoying than a coaster that ALWAYS sticks to your glass). However, these are perfect – less clunky than making a coaster out of a tile but still heavy and versatile.

For this project you will need:

materials

I wanted a white coaster, so after a light sanding with some 220 grit sandpaper (just to rough up the surface and give the paint something to stick to) I used some Antique White spray paint and allowed it to dry thoroughly.

Painted

I love old comic books and decided to use some graphics from a book I found on the Remainder Table a while ago. Sometimes I find it hard to visualize what a section will look like when it’s cut out so I used my Fiskars Circle guide to get a sense of where on the page I wanted to cut.

Finding the Image

There are two screw holes in the blank and your paper will need to cover them. I chose to leave a little edge showing, but it would also work to cover the entire surface with paper.  If you choose this route, just cut a circle a little larger than the blank and after applying it and allowing it to dry you’d cut away the excess paper with a craft knife. After deciding and cutting out the images it’s time to Mod Podge.

I like to dampen my images before attaching them as it reduces the bubbles and wrinkles that plagued me in my early Mod Podge attempts. NOTE: This method will NOT work with images printed on an ink jet printer as the ink will run – you should always test a little section of the paper to make sure it will hold up. I fill a container with water and drop the image in to soak a little while I prepare the surface.
soaking

When I pull the image out of the bath I run my fingers along either side of it to remove any excess water. After that I lay it on the surface and gently smooth it out, pushing out any air that gets trapped or any excess Mod Podge (having a paper towel handy is helpful) and allow it to dry. After about 20 minutes, I top coated the coasters with a layer of Mod Podge and allowed it to dry, then sanded it with my 220 grit sandpaper and gave it another coat.

sanding between coats
Top Coat

I glued the gaskets that come with the blanks onto the backside for my padding using E-6000 glue – you could also use cork or felt if you’d prefer.

How to make Mod Podge coasters using comic books

And you now have finished coasters to gift. Or keep for yourself.

Mod Podge comic book coasters

Thank you David – these are awesome. My brother’s birthday is coming up and I’m going to make these. No one tell him!

Mod Podge newsletter

Comments

1. Tristin @ Two Girls Being Crafty says

Love the use of the metal blanks. It’s also refreshing to have a man’s perspective on a craft blog–cool.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments – I’m glad you like them.

MichMash – I used outdoor Mod Podge which is designed to hold up to the elements. However, if you want a little extra measure of heat resistance I would suggest letting them dry very, very thoroughly (a couple of weeks at the least)and then, after a light sanding, apply a couple of coats of Polycrylic and allowing that to dry for several days as well.

Hope that helps.

David

3. Johnnie says

I love the fact that you solved the weight issue with the round chipboard coasters. Thanks for sharing!!!

4. breanna says

i’ve got some NERDtacular friends in my world who would take great delight in these…i’d better get to work!

Let me just say that you’re a genius – I’d never heard of wetting my thinner pieces of paper – guess what? No bubbles! Awesome!

Did you put a clear sealer on it so they wouldn’t stick to anything?

6. Anne says

These are so cool! I have a few friends that these would make perfect gifts for (okay, okay, they’d make a great gift for me too!).

7. Chelsea McDougald says

“There are two screw holes in the blank and your paper will need to cover them. I chose to leave a little edge showing, but it would also work to cover the entire surface with paper.”

I want to make some with some edge showing–do you remember the diameter of your cut circles?

Hi Chelsea,

I was using that Fiskars Circle Cutter tool that’s shown in the 3rd picture and it was the 3.50″ circle that left that little edge visible.
    Hope that helps.
    David

9. Nate, Cassie, Calandra, Carleigh says

I would like to use these but I want to print out a picture with an ink jet picture. How do I keep the ink from running?

10. Barbara Martin says

I’m a little nervous about the water technique, but I’m going to try it. These look so good! Can’t wait to make them for my nerdy friends and relatives.

11. auntie jennifer says

Since the modpodge has no sealant on top how will condensation from cold drinks affect it?

thought these looked pretty awesome. but my boyfriend was appalled when he saw that you cut up comic books ;)

• says

Hi Anonymous! You can reassure your boyfriend – if he doesn’t want to cut up comic books, he can make color copies and still have comic book coasters :D

This is AWESOME! Thank you thank you thank you!!! my anniversary with my boyfriend is coming up and we agreed only homemade gifts. He is the biggest comic nerd and actually does comic art! He will absolutely LOVE this!! Thanks sooo much!

14. RougeSkadoosh says

Hey there! Just wondering if you put a layer of Mod Podge underneath the page before placing it on the metal circle? Just wanted to double check before I start making them just to be safe!
    They are awesome BTW!

Just come accross these and think they are fab, will definitely be makin some with my children for my husband’s birthday, he’ll love them!

16. Taylor says

These are great! I was just wondering if the same method would work for metal light switch plates or outlet covers?
    Thanks!

1. [...] Expect Moore 24. Dinosaur Play Mat from Craft Zine 25. Moby Wrap from Schamelot Parenting 26. Geek Out! Comic Book Coasters from Mod Podge Rocks 27. Baby/Toddler Kimono from Habitual 28. Mohawk Beanies from This Mama Makes [...]

2. [...] a Jar 24. Bow Tie 25. Homemade Aftershave 26. Desktop Zen Garden 27. Cozy Socks 28. Suspenders 29. Comic Book Coasters 30. Step Stool 31. Candy Cane Trains 32. Home made glitter ornaments 33. Snowflake Message Frame [...]

3. [...] My kids love comics and superheros (they just watched Avengers for the upteenth time this weekend) and I know they would love these comic coasters. You can find the tutorial on Mod Podge Rocks. [...]