These simple wood spool ornaments are as cute as can be, and are so easy to make with baker’s twine and Mod Podge. So cute on your Christmas tree!
Skills Required: None. Even if you’ve never crafted before, you can make these ornaments. They are perfect for beginners!
There are just a couple days left before Christmas, and today I’m going to share a very quick and easy decoupage craft to make spool ornaments that would be a perfect holiday activity.
Back in the day, spools of thread used to be wooden. I didn’t know this, but the early 70s thread manufacturers stopped making them due to cost. That’s why a really wooden thread spool is such a fun find in a thrift store or antique shop.
Craft stores now carry wooden spools in the wood section so that we can still have our fix without paying an arm and a leg for the privilege. Grab a package of those to make these Christmas tree ornaments.
Even little kids can help make this cute Christmas craft! Here’s how it’s done.
Spool Christmas Ornaments
Gather These Supplies
What you do:
1. Start by painting on a thick coat of Mod Podge Matte all around the middle area of your wooden spool.
2. Place the end of your baker’s twine near the middle of the spool and cover in a coat of Mod Podge.
3. Then start winding the twine around the spool starting at one edge. I wrapped it so there was just one layer of twine.
4. When you reach the other edge, cut your twine and secure it with an extra coat of Mod Podge.
I didn’t cover all of the twine with Mod Podge because I wanted the thread to look and feel like fabric, but you want to use enough to know your ornament won’t start unwinding.
5. There are a lot of different ways you could turn these little spools into ornaments, but I ended up using thicker twine and a hot glue gun.
First, make a loop with your twine and tie a knot at the bottom. Trim off the ends. Use a hot glue gun to attach the knot to the inside of the spool.
And you’re done! You could also use embroidery thread to make colorful ornaments, or something more unusual like pom pom garland for a really unique looking ornament.
I love the simplicity of these little red and white ornaments on my Christmas tree.
If you love DIY Christmas ornaments, you’ll love this collection of over 100 Mod Podge Christmas ornaments.