Make a Christmas door hanger that tells Santa to stop at your house using vintage graphics. Add special touches of Sparkle Mod Podge to make it pop!
Something about vintage Christmas images just make me feel good about the holidays. Maybe it’s the nostalgic images that remind me of the holidays at Grandmas? I made this Christmas door hanger out of 1/4 plywood, vintage copyright ephemera and Mod Podge.
Santa Door Hanger
My Supplies List:
- 3/8″ Thick Plywood, got mine at Michaels and cut it to 4″ x 10″
- Mod Podge Gloss
- Mod Podge Sparkle
- Hole saw bit with cordless drill
- Clamp (I confess, I did not use one. I used my left hand to hold down the plywood). Don’t do this if you don’t have the experience, use a clamp!!!
If you don’t know how to use a hole saw bit, see this video. Drill through the plywood where you want the hole. Sand away any rough edges.
TIP: You could also do this step after you decoupage the graphic.
Next steps . . .
• Prime the plywood with FolkArt paint, let dry . . .
• I designed my graphic image in photo-shop using copyright free ephemera. I am offering a download of this image in my Etsy shop if you interested in making this particular item.
• I decoupaged the laser print with Gloss Mod Podge, then let dry.
I love using Sparkle Mod Podge – it’s one of my favorite products. I love the dimensional impression it makes especially for creating “snow.”
I applied the Sparkle MP highlighting areas of the graphics that had:
- Snow on the chimney
- Snow on the roof top
- Santa’s brim of his hat, white of the jacket and cuff and pocket (see arrows)
TIP: Let dry for about 20 minutes and then reapply in areas to build up the illusion of snow! I used about three coats, the perfectionist in me always aims for quality.
I repeated the same”above steps” for the pinecones and red holly berries. They look fantastic!!!
Once all the steps of applying Mod Podge are dried, the result are truly stunning! I am very pleased with this very easy holiday keepsake to be treasured for years.
I wish all followers of Mod Podge Rocks a happy and healthy holiday season!