If you need a unique gift for Father's Day, this hardware store photo display fits the bill. It's so industrial looking, it works with any decor!
As you know if you've followed my projects here on Mod Podge Rocks or on my blog, Cheltenham Road, sometimes I go to Home Depot with a master plan for what I'm going to make and sometimes I just go and wander the aisles and, ATeam-like, see if a plan comes together.
This time around I wanted see if I could do something with galvanized pipes that might be fun for Father's Day.
Affordable, versatile and easy was the goal – and as I played around with the various fittings I started to see a kind of sculptural photo display that would look cool on a desk or shelf.
Industrial Photo Display
- Wood Plaque
- 2 (two) 3/8″ Galvanized Floor Flanges
- 2 (two) 3/8″ Galvanized Tee Connectors
- 1 (one) 3/8″ by 3″ (long) Galvanized Steel Pipe Nipple
- 1 (one) 3/8″ by 5″ (long) Galvanized Steel Pipe Nipple
- 4 (four) Outlet Cover Blanks
- Wood Stain
- Glue (Gorilla Glue, E-6000, Super Glue etc)
- Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Rags (for staining)
- Drill (optional)
- (the photo is missing one Tee Connector and one Outlet cover…I was experimenting)
The galvanized pipes and flanges are found in the plumbing section of Home Depot. The outlet cover blanks are in the electrical section.
My wood base is from Michaels but, of course, any piece of wood would work.
First up I stained the wood base and set it aside to dry.
The outlet cover blanks measured 2.5″ wide by 4.25″ high. After resizing my photos on the computer, I trimmed them down about 1/16″ smaller than the dimensions for the blank because I wanted to have a little wiggle room when I decoupaged them into place.
I smoothed out any bubbles or wrinkles with my fingers and wiped away any excess Mod Podge that had squeezed out.
After about 20 minutes I gave the photos a sealing top coat of decoupage (I used Matte MP but Gloss would give them a bit of shine if you'd like).
Once the pictures were dry enough (about 30 minutes) I glued the outlet cover blanks to either side of the tee connectors and let the glue dry thoroughly.
To make screwing the floor flanges into place easier I marked and drilled pilot holes into the wooden base.
Now it was a simple matter of threading the Tee Connectors onto the pipes and the pipes to the flanges and screwing them into place.
The total cost for all the parts was less than $20 (admittedly I had the glue and screws on hand) and I think you could adapt the basic idea in a lot of different ways.
There are hundreds of connectors available so you could make one giant stand or perhaps a metal family tree!