Disclosure: this is a sponsored post. All opinions and projects are 100% mine.
I don't know how popular tailgating is in your neck of the woods, but here in the south – it's practically a religion. Football fans tailgate for everything from high school to college to professional games! We're also very lucky because we have the weather to do it almost year 'round here. I know those of you standing in the snow might be a little jealous!
With the biggest game of the year right around the corner, I'm pleased to share some of my favorite tailgating tips today – I swear by these! Not only do I have tips, but I'm also sharing a craft idea and a recipe with TRISCUIT Crackers and Coca-Cola. I’m partnering with Coca-Cola and NABISCO this year to bring you some amazing inspiration to have the best tailgate party ever! And whether you tailgate or not, you can get tips from the HomeBowl.com site to ensure that your next football celebration is a success. And after all of that, I have a contest at the end of this post. Let's get started!
Before I get into the tips, I'm going to teach you how to make two things. First is this “Kick it Off” apron! I believe every grill master needs a fancy apron, and this one is easy to make.
Gather These Supplies
- Apron in a light color
- Iron-on sheets for your printer (for light colored fabrics)
- Iron on letters to spell “KICK IT OFF”
- Football on tee printable (get it HERE)
- Acrylic paint for fabric in green and white
- Painter's tape
- Craft knife and mat
Start by taping off your apron for painting. I wanted mine to slightly resemble a football field so I taped around the edges, then taped two lines dividing the section I was going to paint into three equal parts.
Paint those three sections using green fabric paint and remove the tape immediately. Let dry.
Once the paint is dry, tape off the two lines and paint those areas white. Remove the tape immediately and let dry.
Touch up any lines that aren't straight with a liner brush. Set your apron aside.
Print the football graphic out on your printer. Make sure to read the instructions to know whether you should reverse the graphic or not! In my case, I needed to reverse the graphic so that it would iron down with the tee on the right.
Cut the graphic out with your craft knife and mat. Please use caution when handling a craft knife – they have a very sharp blade!
Place the graphic on the apron as shown and, following the instructions on the package, iron on the football. Let cool and remove the paper to reveal your design.
Do the same with the iron-on letters. My letters came in a package ready to attach to the apron using my iron. Simply follow instructions on the packaging. All I did was iron my letters down for 12 – 15 seconds on high heat and remove the paper when they were cool. Done!
Your grill master has an awesome apron! This would be fun to gift to your tailgate host OR wear yourself.
Up next – the recipe! For any tailgate, you're going to need a delicious recipe that everyone will love. It's best if it's simple . . . and this one is.
These are my special brown mustard and brat cracker-tizers! Here's what you need:
- TRISCUIT Crackers
- A block of sharp American cheese
- Brats, either cooked beforehand or on the grill
- Brown spicy mustard
The recipe couldn't be any easier. All you do is place a TRISCUIT Cracker down, then place a piece of cheese on top. Cut brats into slices (which you can do beforehand or you can do that day once your grill master has cooked them) and put them on top of the cheese. Then put a dollop of brown spice mustard on each brat slice. That's all there is to it.
You know what goes really well with these cracker-tizers? An ice-cold, refreshing bottle of Coca-Cola! Coca-Cola is my go-to beverage for the perfect tailgate, and it's perfect for washing down my delicious snack recipe. As far as I'm concerned, Coca-Cola is a must at any football party!
You're really not going to believe how amazing these are!
Now that I've shared my craft and my recipe, I'm excited to share my top tips for hosting the perfect tailgate.
- Make a list. A few days before, make a list of everything you need. After doing several tailgates, I realized how essential it was. You WILL forget items unless you write them down! First on the list? Ice-cold Coca-Cola and yummy Triscuit Crackers!
- Set aside at least 4 – 5 hours for your tailgate. You need time for cooking and cleanup before the game. Plan it right so you aren't late for the game.
- Make a playlist and charge your phone. Every good tailgate needs music, at least before the broadcast gets started. You might also want to bring along a second charger just in case.
- Use a truck or SUV with a flip down gate. Hosting a tailgate out of a car trunk isn't impossible, but it's way easier if you can use an actual “gate” and cover it with a blanket for a serving surface.
- Stack the cooler appropriately. Put the large, heavy items like beverages on the bottom.
- Use frozen water bottles in addition to ice in the cooler. Or at least in addition to. You want to bring water anyway, so frozen water will not only keep your items cold, but then as they defrost you'll have water to drink.
- Utilize thermoses for items that need to stay warm. You can cook the chili beforehand and place in a thermos. It will stay hot!
- Use recycled six-pack containers for holding things. These are great for organizing condiments AND goodies like silverware, napkins, etc. – keeps them all together, too.
- Don't forget the paper towels. Bring more than you think you'll need. Trust me.
- Bring a plastic tub for dirty dishes. It's easy to stack them in a plastic tub and place in the back seat. You can rinse out the tub after you're done.
- Bring hand sanitizer and baby wipes. Napkins are great, but without a sink, you need options to get your hands and face a bit cleaner!
- Pack a first-aid kit. If you're cooking, you're going to need a first-aid kit. You never know what might happen, so it's better to be safe.
These are my favorite tailgating tips, I'd love to hear yours in the comments.
With the right blend of decor, games, and eats (including Coca-Cola and NABISCO) you can have the perfect Home Bowl party or tailgate. Here are a few more things you can do!
- Create a custom Home Bowl Evite here. Not only will you find invitations, you’ll also find find a host of game day party tips for a winning game day party.
- Look for the Coca-Cola Home Bowl in stores – including Coca-Cola beverages and NABISCO products like RITZ Crackers and TRISCUIT Crackers. It’s available at retailers nationwide!
Now that I’ve shared this information with you, here’s some information on the Pinterest contest! TWO PEOPLE are going to win a Coca-Cola Home Bowl prize pack worth $400!! Is that not amazing? Here’s what you have to do.
- Create a Pinterest board called “Coca-Cola & NABISCO #HomeBowlHeroContest”
- Pin your favorite game day party and tips to this board – these can be from any site, not just mine. You do not need to pin photos of Coca-Cola or NABISCO products to be entered to win
- You must pin at least SIX PINS – tag each pin with “#HomeBowlHeroContest”
- Leave a link to your Pinterest board in the comments of this blog post
- I’ll be picking my two favorite boards and announcing the winners on this blog post!
- Contest opens today, January 8th and ends January 29th, 2016 at 11:59 pm EST.
Disclosure: The Coca-Cola Company and Mondelez Global LLC partnered with bloggers such as me for their Home Bowl program. As part of this program, I received compensation for my time. This prize was provided by The Coca-Cola Company and Mondelez Global LLC. The Coca-Cola Company and Mondelez Global LLC are not a sponsor, administrator or connected in any other way with this promotion.