Make your own farmhouse inspired wall relief with any square of wood and wood shape – just add your favorite papers to personalize!
Man Podger Walter recently sent me one of his pumpkin jack magnets, and truly made my Halloween. If you haven’t been to his Etsy shop in awhile, pop over and buy a holiday gift for a beloved friend or family member. My mom loves pigs, so guess which item from his shop I’ll be buying? Shh – don’t tell her!
Another gift my mom would definitely like is this French Provincial rooster wall relief by Walter. It would look great in her kitchen, and I’m guessing it might look great in yours. Take a peek at Walter’s full tutorial below.
The holiday season will be here before you know it. I will be creating tutorials that will make great holiday gifts. Here is a high-end project with a lot of appeal! I recently saw something similar at a high-end boutique . . . and I will show you how to make it for less. A little imagination, effort and time is all you need.
Farmhouse Inspired Wall Relief
Some of the basic supplies and tools you will need for this project:
• 8 1/2″ x 9 1/4″ piece of wood
• Rooster cut out (found mine at a thrift shop for 39 cents)
• Various cardstock (french patterns)
• Mod Podge Gloss
• Mod Podge Tools
• Any type of picture hanger for the back
• FolkArt paint in the colors of your choice
• Remove any prices and or stickers
• Lightly sand off any rough edges
• Prime both pieces with FolkArt paint (any color).
• Let dry for at least 15 minutes.
Paint the sides of the wood board. I used Folk Art Licorice for the sides because it matched the cardstock I choose for the board. This step is optional; you can decoupage the sides too. Repeat this step for the Rooster wood cutout. I used Folk Art Sunflower paint because it matched the cardstock I selected.
• Measure and cut for the board.
• Trace the rooster onto the selected paper and cut with scissors.
• Decoupage both pieces.
• Let dry for 15 minutes.
Plug in your hot glue gun!
• Using your glue gun, spread some hot glue on the back of the rooster.
• Attach the decoupaged rooster onto the center of the decoupaged board.
• Press down on the rooster for a couple of seconds.
• Seal the whole wall relief with Mod Podge and let dry for about 20 minutes.
• Attach any type of picture hanger to the back.
• Add two rubber bumpers to the bottom of the back wall relief (left and right).
That was fun and simple. Use any cut out shapes, vintage or new – crafts stores have a great assortment to choose from. Some suggestions: use a fish shape for a den or animals for a kids playroom? Use your imagination . . .
And how about adopting a “handmade” gift season this year? These make great holiday gifts!