Learn to make two delightful Cinco de Mayo crafts – papel picado coasters and a mini piñata taco garland. Such a fun way to celebrate the holiday!
I know – Cinco de Mayo is over. But I live down the street from an amazing (and relatively new) Mexican restaurant called Pure that also happens to serve some amazing margaritas. So I think I’m going to celebrate all month long . . . and that includes with some cute Cinco de Mayo crafts.
One thing I love about Cinco de Mayo is that the crafts are really colorful. I love bright blues, greens, yellows, and pinks. They are so cheery!
Cinco de Mayo Crafts
Let’s get into the two ideas: starting with some papel picado coasters using Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge.
Cinco de Mayo Coasters
Gather These Supplies
- A few shades of acrylic paint
- White paperboard coasters
- Papel picado banners
- Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe
- Paint the coasters; let dry. For each coaster, cut a piece of banner in a contrasting color to the size of the coaster, plus ½ inch all around.
- Apply sealer to the coasters. While still wet, press banner squares on top, gently smoothing wrinkles or bubbles. Fold the edges over. Coat the tops with sealer, let dry, then coat the bottoms; let dry.
Don’t forget to make the mini taco piñatas, too! String ’em together to hang above a table, or make one per guest as party favors.
Cinco de Mayo Garland
Gather These Supplies
- Yellow construction paper
- Yellow tissue paper
- Glue stick
- Toilet paper tubes
- Hot glue
- Mini cupcake liners
- Small treats (optional)
- String (optional)
- Yellow paper clips (optional)
- For each taco: Cut a 6-inch circle out of construction paper. Cut 20 1- x 6-inch strips of tissue. Stacking five to 10 at a time, fringe them along one long side.
- Glue the first strip of tissue across the center of the circle. Add a strip just above it, so the fringe overlaps. Continue to the top, then repeat on the other side, starting in the opposite direction. Trim any excess.
- Cover half of a toilet paper tube with hot glue (an adult’s job), then wrap the fringed paper circle around it.
- Scrunch up a cupcake liner, dot hot glue onto the bottom, and stick it on top of the toilet paper roll. Continue adding liners in different colors until the entire inside is covered, including one opening of the toilet paper tube. If desired, place wrapped candies or toys inside the open end of the tube, then stuff in a liner to seal.
- To turn your mini taco into a garland, make a bunch and string them up using small yellow paper clips.
Let me know in the comments which Cinco de Mayo crafts are your favorite!
Taco garland and coaster crafts and photos courtesy of FamilyFun Magazine; visit them for even more creative goodness.