Learn how to make a pencil holder – the perfect gift idea! You can do it using scrap wood, and add any picture that you like with Mod Podge.
Man Podger Walter has done a project that reminds me of something special close to home. His catch of the day pencil holder makes me think about Pike Place Market back in my hometown of Seattle.
I picture it flying through the air at Pike Place Fish. Ah, the memories! I think this would make a surprise not only for a Seattlite who likes the market, but also for the dude in your life.
I mean, what do you get the guy that has everything? Learn how to make a pencil holder straight from Walter himself.
For the man in your life who enjoys fishing and needs some organization? How about making this simple holder for the office or workshop? It’s easy and I will show you how.
Make a Pencil Holder
These are some of the basic supplies you will need for this project:
- Mod Podge Satin and Mod Podge Hard Coat
- 8 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ piece of wood
- Mod Podge Tools
- 3/8″ wood drill bit
- Drill press
- X-Acto knife
- Tape measure
- Folk Art Paint – French Blue
- Self-stick rubber pads (optional)
- Kilz Primer (optional)
- 100 grit sandpaper and a small block of wood
- Cut images with a Ruler and X-Acto
- Lay out cut images
- Decoupage the images onto the wood with Mod Podge
- Let dry for 15 minutes
This makes breaking the edge easy achieving the look I wanted (see photos for example; this step is optional).
- Seal the whole piece with Hard Coat Mod Podge
- Let dry for about 25 minutes
- Measure and mark the spot with an awl or pencil
- You decide how many holes you want? 1, 2, 3, etc. – I chose 7
Enter the drill press:
I used a 3/8″ wood drill bit and drilled into each marked spot at 1 1/2″ deep.
Use this handy organizer to display pencils, pens and markers in the office . . . or insert some handy tools like drill bits and craft knives for the studio.
This project can be used in so many variations, using unlimited image resources for anyone. Try it!
Don’t forget to visit Walter’s Etsy shop – he’s actually got this little gem for sale if you don’t have time to make it and your man needs a gift.