Are you in the mood for some 4th of July crafting? This is an original project from Walter – star coasters! I love this twist on a standard craft project (everyone loves round coasters, right?) for the upcoming holiday. Use your favorite ephemera or vintage images from The Graphics Fairy. Here's how Walter made them.
Summer is here and along with it, the beginning of outdoor entertaining. If you haven't noticed, most coasters are square or round. Why can't they be available in other shapes? It turns out they can – if you make them. I decided to create these cool star coasters with vintage ephemera . . . and it's the perfect patriotic craft that you might even want to use all year. Here's how I did it.
- Various 4th of July colored cardstock, scrapbooking paper and ephemera
- Mod Podge Gloss and Hard Coat Mod Podge for sealing
- Mod Podge tools
- Band or jig saw
I transferred a star shaped template (you can download any from the internet) on a piece of 1/2″ wood and cut the shape out with a band saw. This is very easy to do! Use a jig saw if you don't have a band saw.
• Prime the star shaped wood, let dry
• Decoupage a piece of card stock onto the shape, let dry
• Then decoupaged my vintage graphic, let dry…
Then I cut a 1/2″ strip of my scrap-booking paper and decoupaged the sides, let dry…
• Seal with Mod Podge HARD COAT for best results, let dry….
I decoupaged both sides.
One side with Blue card-stock
The other side with a vintage graphic!
Now I have a cool one of a kind coasters:)
Easy and FUN!
Happy forth of July!