I already wrote an article about Mod Podge Sparkle, the original glittery Mod Podge. Now I'm excited to tell you about Mod Podge Extreme Glitter – Sparkle's SUPER bling-y younger sister! If you love the subtle finish of the Sparkle but want to take it up a notch . . . this is your formula. Extreme Glitter is truly extreme which I know is already in the name but when you'll use it you'll see that is the best way to describe it!!
Mod Podge Sparkle features one type of medium sized hologram glitter – Mod Podge Extreme Glitter features THREE types of holographic glitter in an ultrafine size! There is more glitter per ounce in the Extreme formula than the sparkle. Let me show you:
It's one of those formulas you REALLY have to try to see how amazing it is. And what do I love about it the most? NO MESS! It's also perfect for holiday projects from Halloween to Christmas to beyond.
Cathie and Steve address this formula (amongst others) in the following video:
Questions About Mod Podge Extreme Glitter
1. What is the difference between Mod Podge Sparkle and Mod Podge Extreme Glitter? Mod Podge Sparkle has larger hologram glitter pieces; Extreme Glitter has three different glitters that are ultrafine. For more glitter – use Extreme Glitter. Sparkle is a bit more subtle.
2. How do I know if I should pick Mod Podge Sparkle or Extreme Glitter? There aren't any rules! You'll want to pick the formula that has the glitter finish you like best. Sparkle is for a bit of glitter – Extreme Glitter is if you want a lot. But I would say you can't lose with either!
3. What is the finish of Extreme Glitter? It dries with a Gloss base and lots of sparkle.
4. What surfaces can I use this formula on? This formula can be applied directly onto a variety of surfaces such as: wood, tin, terra cotta, canvas, papier mache and even glass or ceramics when the finished glass surface will be used for decorative purposes only.
NOTE: Extreme Glitter shows up best on dark surfaces! It can also obscure words given the amount of glitter.
5. How should I apply this formula? It is best to brush a coat of Mod Podge onto the project surface as well as evenly over the back of the paper to be decoupaged. Flip the paper over, place it onto the project surface joining glue to glue; and then press to smooth out any wrinkles or captured air pockets using a Mod Podge Brayer or Squeegee.
TIP: For a smooth application of paper to the project surface, use Mod Podge Matte or Gloss to adhere the paper. Although Mod Podge Extreme Glitter can be used to adhere the paper, the added dimension of the glitter particles may interfere if using thin, lightweight paper. Allow to dry 15–20 minutes before applying a topcoat of Mod Podge Extreme Glitter.
For a simple and quick finish, apply a smooth, moderate layer of Mod Podge Extreme Glitter to the decoupaged surface. If additional glitter effects are desired, brush on additional coats, allowing ample dry time between applications. If desired, a light spray of Mod Podge Acrylic Sealer can be applied as a final topcoat for additional protection. NOTE: Mod Podge Acrylic Sealer will alter the sheen of Mod Podge Extreme Glitter.
6. Do I need to shake the bottle before using? No, shaking may cause bubbles. Mod Podge Extreme Glitter can be stirred before using to fully incorporate the product.
7. What is the best applicator tool to apply this formula? A variety of applicator tools can be used with Mod Podge Extreme Glitter including foam Spouncers or bristle brushes.
8. How do I clean my applicator tools and brushes after using this product? Clean all Mod Podge applicator tools (brushes, squeegee and/or brayer) while wet with soap and water. Do it immediately while the tools are still wet before it dries.
9. How should I care for a project when this formula is applied? A decoupaged surface using Mod Podge Extreme Glitter should be intended for indoor decorative purposes only as it is not dishwasher or washing machine safe, or safe for outdoor decorations. To clean your project, wipe using a damp soft cloth, do not fully immerse in water.
Are you ready for some project ideas using Mod Podge Extreme Glitter? Check these out!