I love doing book reviews, and this one makes me particularly excited. My friend Kirsten from Studs & Pearls (the DIY fashion blog) has recently released her first book! It's called Studs & Pearls: 30 Creative Projects for Customized Fashion. Let me start by being honest and letting you know that I don't read that many fashion blogs. You are reading the blog of someone who feels most comfortable in jeans and Star Wars t-shirts. But that doesn't mean I don't ever want to be fashionable . . . in fact, I would love to kick it up a notch, but I'm a little scared. And that is exactly what I love about Kirsten's blog – I feel that her fashion is trendy AND attainable! She does a perfect job of bridging the gap between high fashion and, well, normal outfits that still make you look stylish. I truly love Kirsten's blog and am so excited to share Studs & Pearls with you.
Here are my five favorite things about this book.
1. You don't need special skills. If you're concerned because you aren't a master seamstress or expert DIYer, don't be – THIS book is perfect for you. And that's what I love about Studs & Pearls. Being your own DIY fashionista isn't as difficult as you think, so grab a few basic tools and try it!
2. The introductory section has a lot of information. Kirsten has laid out DIY basics (including tools), tips & tricks, and ideas for inspiration. I've been crafting my whole life and read a few things that made me think, “that's a good idea.” You are never too old to learn something new, or learn something for the first time if DIY is new to you.
3. You get a lot of variety in the multiple sections. Kirsten's covered clothing, shoes, accessories, and jewelry. You get a huge variety of projects within those categories, so no worries about finding something you like. (By the way, I'm dying to make the watercolor jeans you see above).
4. Every project has alternative suggestions. After each project, there are several images that show other options for customization. This is awesome because obviously we don't all have the same style or fashion sense. You're getting a great bang for your buck with this text just based on all of the inspiration.
5. The difficulty level is listed for each project. I like this just so I know what to expect. Also if you are a first timer, this really helps you in deciding where to begin. Speaking of difficulty, the instructions and images are really clear. You won't have a hard time completing these projects if you follow the great instructions!