Do you have any water shortages in your area? We’ve had them here before – several years where you couldn’t water your lawns, or you had your assigned “day” to do so. Couple that with the fact that my dad was a stickler for “turn the lights off, don’t let the water run!” when I was little, and water conservation is very important to me. I have a lot of water saving tips I use around the house and I thought I would share them with you. There are five that I use all the time:
- Turn off the tap when brushing teeth – don’t let the water run
- Take a shower instead of a bath (which is hard because that’s when I read my celebrity mags)
- Wash your car (or bike, motorcycle, etc) with a bucket instead of a running hose
- Turn off the faucet when washing/scrubbing dishes
- Re-use clean clothing and towels before washing
But it’s hard to remember these types of rules – especially when you’re a kid and there are so many other things to remember! So I made a handy dandy printable for your little ones:
You can download the full PDF version and printable here. I figure children might need a cute little reminder chart – they can even tally up the savings at the end of a week!
There is another way you can save water that might not be as obvious to you: drinking Silk. It’s one of my favorite beverages – and they have soymilk, almondmilk, and coconutmilk. I love it in all flavors, but my favorite is Vanilla almondmilk! Drinking Silk not only provides delicious, plant-based nourishment, but also conserves water because producing Silk saves 500 gallons of water per half gallon over conventional dairy milk. Isn’t that amazing?
Silk is celebrating Earth Month a few ways:
- They’ve launched a series of short, animated videos on their site designed to celebrate, inspire and educate people about the importance of water. Silk is partnering with The Nature Conservancy to help advance water conservation efforts across the U.S. For every “share” of one of Silk’s Earth Month videos, Silk will donate $1 to The Nature Conservancy (up to $20,000).
- They are inviting YOU to share their fun and nostalgic water-filled moments using the #yaywater hashtag for the chance to win one of 200 indoor or outdoor eco-friendly prize packs or one of five grand prizes! Visit their Facebook page to learn more.
Not only that, but I get to give away five water saving prize packs with Silk goodies as well! Just enter to win below – and I can’t wait to hear your water conservation tips!
Silk wants you to help us celebrate water! Every time you share one of Silk’s water conservation videos, Silk will donate $1 to The Nature Conservancy (up to $20,000) to help with water conservation efforts.
I was compensated for this post but the views and opinions expressed in this post are solely mine. WhiteWave is providing the prizes for this program at no cost to me. This giveaway is not administered by WhiteWave or its affiliates, but solely by myself.