Hello, Mod Podge fans! My name is Jill Cornell, and I am very excited to share some cute Christmas table decorations – a vintage wooden spool trio – with you all today. I love collecting vintage wooden spools in a variety of sizes. It’s an exciting treasure hunt for me in antique stores. And I like to challenge myself to create projects with them incorporating my paper crafting supplies. Rather than use a dowel to hold my design in the spool, I had some paper straws leftover from Halloween that perfectly matched the Kringle & Co. collection from American Crafts. (The straws are very thick so they worked great to hold something bulky on top). Make a whole bunch of these for unique Christmas table decorations that no one will expect!
Vintage Wooden Spool Christmas Table Decorations
- Matte Mod Podge
- Vintage wooden spools
- Striped paper straws
- American Crafts Kringle & Co. collection patterned paper, die-cuts, stickers, ribbon
- Webster’s Pages Royal Christmas collection cameo
- Other embellishments – stickers, flowers, stick pin, jewels
- Ranger Stickles glitter glue
- Hot glue gun
- Scrap chipboard
1) Cut strips of patterned paper to fit around wooden spools. Apply Mod Podge and adhere to spools. Also, trace a circle to fit top of spool and adhere.
3) Apply Mod Podge as a sealer on die-cuts and let dry. Cut a small piece of scrap chipboard and adhere to back of die-cut with hot glue (the cardboard gives it extra strength). Highlight the die-cuts with glitter glue.
5) For large centerpiece of trio, cut a piece of scrap chipboard to 4” and sandwich between piece of red patterned paper and vellum. Machine stitch. Cut block of green patterned paper, machine stitch and adhere. Cut cream/black patterned paper block, machine stitch and adhere. Seal piece with Mod Podge.