I have, for my entire life, been drawn to cool graphics. This has lead to hoarding cool graphics. The problem was I didn’t know what to do with them.
Well, I didn’t know what to do with them until Mod Podge came along (actually I guess it’s always been there so, technically, I am the one who “came along”). This lead me to make a Christmas wreath!
Christmas is my favorite time of year and vintage Christmas Cards have some of my favorite graphics. I wanted to come up with a fun way to display some of them but I wanted it to be more solid than just laying them out or pinning them to a board. I’m also way behind on my holiday projects so I needed it to be quick, easy and inexpensive. I hit upon the idea for a wreath that could hang on a door or over a mantle.
I grabbed the following supplies:
A thrift store frame ($2.00)
Some thin scrap wood
Some scrap wood spacers
Vintage Holiday Cards
White spray paint (not pictured)
And these tools:
- A glue gun
- Outdoor Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Utility Knife (not pictured)
I looked for cards that were different sizes and shapes. I scanned the cards, blew them up and printed them out – I didn’t want to pay for copies or go to Kinkos so I made them all 8.5×11 or smaller.
Next, using my utility knife, I cut the thin scrap wood just a hair smaller than the dimensions of the cards. I then Mod Podged the copies of the cards to the scrap wood and set them aside to dry.
In the meantime I gave my frame a quick coat of white spray paint just to make it blend a little bit.
When the mounted cards were dry I trimmed any overhanging edges for a nice, neat look. I then went over all the cards with a sealing coat of Outdoor Mod Podge – I wanted my wreath to work outside and inside so I went for full Mod Podge protection – and set it aside to dry.
After the Outdoor Mod Podge had dried for a few hours it was time to put it all together.
I played around a bit until I found an arrangement that I liked and then started hot gluing the cards and the spacers in place
After the hot glue had enough time to cure I hung my wreath on the front door.
I think I might add a few more cards to fill it out a bit but I’m pleased with it.
The total project took only a couple of hours (not including drying time) and the only real cost was for the thrift store frame.