Why I love my Dyson vacuum cleaner.

I don’t do a lot of product reviews on this site, so you know if I do one that it’s a big deal. You can be sure that I am passionate about the product if I take a post to let you know about it. My friends, I recently got a Dyson vacuum. If it were a man, I would ask my vacuum to marry me.

We’ve all seen the commercials about the unique properties of a Dyson – in particular I believe it’s something like “the unique sucking power” that stands out. And the gentleman has an accent, which means I especially pay attention (right?). I’ve owned a lot of vacuums in my day, so it’s hard to believe that any vacuum is better than another. In fact, I didn’t believe it.

But I was wrong.

And let me emphasize that I hate cleaning, with one exception – I like to vacuum. It’s the one chore that I will gladly volunteer for. So when I moved into my apartment (which I’m subletting for a few months) I quickly realized that there was no vacuum. Um . . . how am I going to contribute? I certainly don’t want to clean toilets. We need a vacuum around here!

Enter the Dyson D35 Multi Floor. It’s not a huge vacuum, but we didn’t want one – this apartment isn’t large. It’s also cordless, which made me slightly nervous. Are cordless vacuums as good as those with cords?

So after a full charge, I decided to give it a go. Our carpets weren’t that dirty, but certainly in need of a vacuum. I read a little bit more about my D35 and realized that it would operate 15 minutes on constant suction or 6 minutes at MAX power (for the tougher cleans). The living room definitely fell into the tougher clean category, so I started going. AND I timed it.

6 minutes later, the vacuum was still going and I had finished the room.

8 minutes later, still going.

It lasted over 9 minutes on max power. Then I tested the constant suction, and it lasted about 3 minutes longer on that setting as well. I was totally impressed. But let’s get to the real question – how did it clean? Well, these next few pictures aren’t for the faint of heart.

The container was full. My Dyson did an AMAZING job of cleaning the floor. I went slowly, and it really picked up the mess – even bigger things that I didn’t know if it would be able to get. For bigger items, I just moved a little more slowly, and it worked well. When you need to dump the container, there’s a red push button on the side so that you don’t have to touch anything. No bags.

This photo is really nasty. The brush got SO much hair in it that I wanted to throw up. The great news is that it has one of my favorite features that no other vacuum I’ve ever owned has – you can easily take the brush out by twisting one piece and pulling. Then you clean the brush off and place it back in. I love that feature. I can’t even explain how much I love it.

Because this vacuum is compact and lightweight (less than 5 pounds), I bring it out nearly every day. I’ve owned it for about a month and it performs flawlessly every time. It charges quickly and cleans wonderfully. I recommend this size for a small space – an apartment or something like a craft room are perfect for this lil’ guy.

I know your question – is it worth the price? Now that I own a Dyson, I can say that the answer is positively YES. This is better than any vacuum I’ve ever had by a long shot, and I know from many other Dyson owners that these last a lifetime. So get one, and join me and the other Dyson owners in our love. I’m off to go vacuum!

Full post disclosure here.

Comments

1. Megan says

I LOVE my Dyson too! I will never, ever own another kind of vacuum again! Worth every penny. I would literally swear every time I used my old vacuum.

2. Jenny Yarbrough says

We have a Dyson too, and I was in the same boat as you. I was sick of vacuums that didn’t work and it hurt a little to spend so much taking a chance on the Dyson, but I LOVE IT! Totally worth the money! The only complaint I have about mine (which is a different model than yours) is that it won’t pick up the bigger things or big fuzz balls on the carpet, and I cannot figure out how to adjust it, or if it can even be adjusted. I’ll tell you what though, it sure cleans the heck out of our rugs… totally disgusts me and elates me every time. HA HA HA!

3. Sharky says

I’ve had my Dyson Animal for 7 years and I love it, too. It’s funny how everyone who has a Dyson is simultaneously grossed out and thrilled to see the chamber filled up with dirt! I admit that my boyfriend does all of our vacuuming because I am sensitive to loud noises, but I think everyone needs a go-to chore that they really don’t mind doing. (Mine is laundry.)

4. Debra says

I got my first Dyson just a few weeks ago and I now look forward to vacuuming. I have two dogs and nothing, but nothing, will get the animal fur out of my house like this Dyson does. It’s light weight and easy to steer. I don’t end up with an aching back when I’m done with my house. It’s the best $500 I ever spent and I’ll bet it lasts me the rest of my life!

5. Gloria Westerman says

I’m in the Dyson group too…but I’ve had mine for over 5 years now and it still works like the day I got it….I love it….and trust me….I’ve have had some very expensive vacuum…which work for a couple of years then fizzy out….but not my dyson….tfs

6. Evie says

I have the Dyson also, it is so nice to clean up area rugs, the kitchen and my craft room floor. Having two long haired cats with shedding season two times a year, this machine is a life saver. We have a wool area rug in the family room and the kitties really enjoy it, so you can imagine the little fur that is left on the rug. No problem for the Dyson, it picks the fur up and keeps on going. Another plus is that it is easy to clean and put back together. I am not mechanically inclined so if I can do it anyone can. I would strongly recommend this product to anyone. In fact, my husband was so impressed we bought the Dyson canister vac for the entire house and it works great also.

7. Beth says

Glad to know I’m not the only one who would like to marry her Dyson! Hmm, maybe I can finally start a Pinterest wedding board?

8. Courtney O'Dell says

I have a dyson and LOVE it! The only way I let my hubby keep his dog was if he bought me the animal :)

9. Natalie Dixon says

oh man, I’m sold! By the time I got to the bottom picture I was practically panting, because I was so in love. That is amazing!

10. Sara @ Mom Endeavors says

Oooh….I’m jealous! :) I would LOVE a Dyson as I loathe our current vacuum!!

11. Carolina says

We got a Dyson as a wedding gift. One giant dog, one furry cat, 2 kids, and 6 years later and it is STILL going strong. I take the “guts” out every so often and hose them down, which is super-simple and easy, but other than that it needs no maintenance.

I LOVE that it is bagless. I still remember going to the store and standing in the cleaning isle staring at all the vacuum bags. No clue which was the right one. :S

I am so incredibly jealous. I want a Dyson SO bad! My friend has a Dyson Stick and chatters on about it endlessly. Seriously, it is so light and easy to use and she said it THE best vacuum she has ever owned… and we both sort of have a love affair with vacuums, so that’s saying a lot!

13. Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage says

LOL! With my hair… I have to flip mine upside dawn, get scissors and cut all my damn hair out of that vacuum. That would be a welcome feature :) But, I love my original Dyson. I love to vacuum.

PS-I hate dishes. I will clean windows, toilets.. but dishes. Meh.

14. Kim -today's creative blog says

You dirty girl….We love our dyson too! I just wish I loved vacuuming.

15. Steph @ The Silly Pearl says

I didn’t know it had that brush release thing so now I want one even more than I already did (badly!). Between me and my two long-haired girls, we have hair ev.ery.where. Thanks for the awesome review!

16. Carolyn says

OK Amy – I have some serious vacuum envy right now. I think I need to put one on my wish list. Not sure who’s going to grant me the wish but I’ll put in on the list anyway!!!

17. Shannon Madigan says

I hate how our vacuum is so heavy… this sounds like a great option (if I *wanted* to vacuum, that is!).

18. Amy* says

I’m so glad you reviewed this vacuum! The first time I saw it I got starry eyed but I wasn’t sure it could “handle” my hairy house. The removable brush is a big plus and the fact that it is portable is huge. My dog has a panic attack as soon as I start unraveling the cord to my big vacuum. God forbid I plug it in and turn it on! This act makes her jump out of her skin and she usually rips the cord right out of the wall in her frenzy to get away. Cordless is GOOD in my house :) Thanks for the awesome review! “Dear Santa, I would like a Dyson Cordless for Christmas!”

Amy*

19. Erin Spain says

I’ve always heard great things about Dyson vacuums. I may have to invest in one!

-Erin @ DIY On the Cheap

20. Amanda @ Serenity Now says

Oh, yes, the brush thing has to be one of the worst things about vacuuming! Wish I had a Dyson…our vacuum pretty much bit the dust (ha, no pun intended), and we need a new one!

21. Jenn "Rook No. 17" says

I’m definitely thinking that a Dyson is going to have to be on my holiday wish list this year!