So Craft has been doing this series called 5,4,3,2,1 with several people – and they are encouraging the online world to do their own. They are the same five questions as you’ll see below. How could I resist? So let’s begin. Here I am, as you know me:
One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of
1. My refurbished key portrait. It may not be anyone else’s colors or style, but I love it. When it comes to crafting, you have to make yourself happy.
Two Mistakes You’ve Made in the Past
1. Trying to do too much at once for too many people. It’s caused crappy projects and missed deadlines. It’s better to say no than to disappoint (yourself and others).
2. I’ve missed several opportunities to promote myself and my work because I was just too tired or too lazy. Sometimes that day job just kicks me in the butt.
Three Things That Make Your Work Unique
1. Bold colors. I’m not afraid to try them.
2. I’m childish. I don’t mean that in a bad way – I mean, I embrace memories and styles from my childhood and I think I make that connection with other people doing the same thing. I’ve never grown up.
3. Sense of humor. I have a pretty healthy sense of humor in my life, and I like to bring it into what I do. So sometimes I put goofy stuff on projects – like glitter moustaches (above).
Four Tools You Love to Use
1. My computer. I have a MacBook Pro and I’m on it all the time. I’m a blogger WAY more than I am a crafter.
2. X-Acto. These craft knives are great for everything. Have you ever tried picking a lock with one? Haha!
3. Craft paint. It covers up most anything that is ugly.
4. Knitting needles. Most people don’t know that I’ve been knitting since I was 15 (longer than I haven’t been). I used to design my own patterns before I got knee-deep in Mod Podge. I still LOVE knitting.
1. Pinterest. I’m totally on the bandwagon my friends. Typically I’m a late adapter, but Pinterest sucked me in early. You are going to be addicted so please – join me.
2. Fashion. I look a lot at color palettes in clothing and accessories to get inspired.
3. Craft materials. I always try new things or brands to get the ideas flowing. I go to the craft store and look at items that I’ve never tried before and ask myself, what could I do with that? It often leads to other ideas.
4. Target. I love going to the home section and checking out the new textiles and housewares. They work with some great designers, and I always think about the DIY version of what I’m seeing.
5. Blogs. This is a gimme. I’m on the internet all the time looking at projects to feature. The blog world is very talented, and this includes my readers. I’m constantly amazed at what I find.
Thanks for letting me share my 5,4,3,2,1 with you. If you do one on your blog, please share the link with me in the comments. I would love to know more about you!