Make silhouette family gift tags

Mod Podge Silhouette Gift TagsI went to a baby shower recently where a lot of people had tied small items onto their gifts. It’s not a new concept, but it got me thinking about doing the same thing and incorporating Mod Podge. I had some new chipboard shapes from Maya Road and some wood ovals, so I decided to throw a silhouette craft together – gift tags that could also be used as ornaments for any time of year. I have to categorize this as a definite stashbuster project, as I used paint, fabric scraps and ribbon I already had in addition to the chipboard shapes. Here’s how to make this family.

Gather These Supplies

IMG_3865Prepare your fabric scraps with Fabric Mod Podge. Paint a medium layer of Mod Podge over the top of the fabric and allow to dry. You do this so that when you cut the fabric to fit the ornament, it won’t fray. Allow the Mod Podge to dry.

IMG_3863Turn the fabric over to the backside and place a wood oval face down onto it. Trace with a pencil.

IMG_3864This is where a steady hand comes in “handy.” Heh heh. I wanted a bit of a smaller oval than what I just traced so that some of the paint could peek around the edges of the finished product. I was really hoping that drawing ovals would be easier than drawing circles for me, but no such luck. Just draw a smaller oval inside the larger oval the best that you can.  Cut out those smaller ovals and set aside.

IMG_3871Paint your wood tags and chipboard shapes. I just set up some color combos to match the fabric AND to use the colors I already had on hand.  It was a perfect excuse to use my favorite FolkArt color Patina. If I could have a Patina car, well, I would. Give several coats and allow the paint to dry.

IMG_3873Mod Podge the fabric down onto the tops of the wood ovals. This is a great project if you are a Mod Podge “wrinklephobe.” The fabric pieces are so small that they really don’t have the opportunity to wrinkle. Allow everything to dry.

IMG_3874Take your chipboard shapes and either use Mod Podge or craft glue to adhere them to the front. Give the whole tag another coat of Mod Podge (get the back too). Allow to dry.

IMG_3875Use your fancy glue gun with the headlight to attach ribbon to the backs of the ornaments. Trim the ribbon ends to finish.

Mod Podge Silhouette Gift TagsThese tags are quick and easy – you could make these the day you were giving a gift to someone. I also thought of something after I was finished. You could use chalkboard paint on the back as a writing surface for the recipient’s name, then easily wash it off for the next recipient! Don’t you always have those great ideas when the project is over?

Mod Podge RSS Feed

Comments

This is the cutest idea!! I want to make these and use them around my house! I bet I could figure out a way to use them when organizing my kids’ things in a common area- like have each kid’s stuff in a bin that’s labeled with one of these tags with their silhouette and name…Oooo the possibilities are endless!

AMY!! These are so adorable!! I think these would be awesome luggage tags!
    I have to make some of these but I think I’ll use a profile picture of Heidi to make the silhouette.

LOVE your project and thanks for shout out!

3. Pandora's Cottage says

Love this idea – I don’t think I could make it without my Mod Podge! Stopping by from New Friend Friday, and so glad I found you. Now following.
    Susan

4. Genevieve says

These are wonderful. I use smaller shapes to create pins and pendants, and I had been wondering how to include fabric. Mod Podge, of course!!! Do you use regular or Fabric Mod Podge?

5. Colleen @ MuralMaker&More says

What a cute idea! And cordless glue guns? ooohh! Must have one of those!

Happy SU Sunday!

6. Brandy and Fam says

I’m speechless! These are incredible!! I’m new to your blogs so thank you for sharing and inspiring me.

7. Judy says

Wow, that really came out great. I would love for you to stop by and join my link party going on. This would be such an awesome link.

8. hazelruth says

I’m SO excited to try this! What a great invention on your part! Thanks for sharing your creative thoughts!

Those are sooo pretty! Love this idea! Thanks so much for the how-to, I’ll b be linking.

10. Megan says

The silloquettes look really updated against the prints. I love it.

megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

11. this blessed nest says

i love these! i mean serious love.

so going to try this…

thank you for making my head spin today!

12. [email protected] says

Im just a LIL Blog but I LOOOOOVE this post!

I LOVE this! Come on ova’ and link up to WHASSUP!!! xoxokara

*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

13. Amanda @ Frills and Frolic says

I absolutely drooled over these gift tags. So stunning yet simple!

I featured them on my post today and would LOVE for you to stop by!

Amanda

frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

14. Sweet Little Smoothie says

These gift tags are sooooooooo cool!! Thanks so much sharing the tutorial!

15. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says

Amy – these are so fun and adorable! I love the bright cheerful colors and patterns. Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunday Showcase Party – I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today.
    Hope you are enjoying your week
    ~ Stephanie Lynn

16. Beth says

These are a great use for those scraps of fabric too! But I bet you could use paper also! I’ve been learning to sew lately, so I’m running out of fabric, but I still have lots of paper!! :)