When I say that Mark Montano is a crafty genius and that you NEED this book, I really mean it. I have a few crafty idols, and he’s one of them – and what a stellar resume he possesses. He’s been on TLC’s While You Were Out and 10 Years Younger, We’s She’s Moving In and Style Network’s My Celebrity Home. Are you kidding? I’d be doing the hamster dance if I had even one of those TV shows under my belt. That’s not even mentioning all of the books he’s done (see his website). Not only is Mark one of the most talented DIYers I’ve ever known, he’s also the nicest. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Mark and he’s kind, hilarious . . . everything a crafty star should be. I really could go on and on, but I need to get to the topic at hand.
Here are my five favorite things about Big-Ass Book of Home Decor.
1. The use of readily available materials. I’ve never known of anyone as good at developing projects with materials I already have around the house, ever. I’m telling you that for most of the projects in this book, you likely already have most of the items – and if you don’t, you can get them quickly at your local hardware store or Target.
2. You can decorate your whole apartment on a budget. Tables, frames, plant holders, wall hangings, headboards, lampshades . . . there are so many home decor projects, and they are all practical and easy on the wallet.
3. The ideas appeal to a wide variety of ages – even dudes. I’ve seen very few craft books that I could give as a gift to either a teenager, recently college graduate or a guy.
4. The Incredible IKEA Ideas section. I laughed when I saw this section, because just about everyone I know has several pieces of IKEA furniture leftover from college – and some people I know have their entire houses or apartments filled with it. I definitely have my fair share. Since everybody and their brother has the same Billy bookself, I like the idea of customizing mine so that at least when someone comes into the door of Mod Podge Command Central they don’t start whistling a Swedish tune immediately. Not that I would know a Swedish tune if I heard one.
5. The vinyl applique chair and ottoman. I always choose my favorite project, and in this instance it was SO hard. I love this chair because blue is my favorite color, especially when it’s combined in various shades.
I don’t know what else to say except you MUST get this book. BABHD will be a constant reference for you, I promise. To get one of you started, I’m giving away a copy signed by Mr. Montano himself. Here are the very simple rules.
1. Comment on THIS blog entry. Why would you like to win this book?
2. Only one entry per person.
3. Contest will close this Wednesday, January 26th at midnight (EST).
4. PLEASE leave your e-mail address if it’s not attached in Blogger – I need some way to reach you.
Full contest disclosure here.