Boob hats for breast cancer awareness.

Did you know that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month?  I’m reminded each year when I start to see hints of pink in women’s wardrobe and shoes around the end of September.  Then yesterday the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk For the Cure started here in Georgia, and the it runs right outside of Mod Podge Command Central.  I think the foundation did that on purpose!  Tee hee.  I always love seeing the women in their pink bunny ears, tutus, wings and glasses.  I have to be honest though, I have never seen boob hats.  When Mary from Hot Potatoes sent me these pictures of these fashionable and funny hats she crafted with papier-mache and Mod Podge, I had to pass them along.  Mary completed her walk in Tennessee in early October, and these hats made it in the Nashville Tennessean!  Her team is pictured above.

A close-up of some lone boob hats for your viewing pleasure.  Mary says “my hands are permanently covered in Mod Podge.”  So are mine Mary, so are mine.

This is definitely my favorite picture.  This woman is a 35 year survivor of breast cancer.  I can’t stop smiling.

If you’ve ever lost someone to breast cancer (or any other cancer), please leave a comment.  My great-grandmother Leta died of breast cancer and then I lost my grandmother Beverly to colon cancer when she was 57.  To learn more, head to Susan G. Komen For the Cure or to the American Cancer Society.  Together hopefully we can stamp out this stinky disease.

Comments

1. erin hisaw says

2. Erin says

My mother died July 30, 2009 at the age of 53 after a yearlong battle with breast cancer. My daughter was 11-months old at the time, and I have since had another baby… and there’s not a day that goes by that I wish my mom were here to spend time with her grandchildren…

3. meegy says

I don’t know anyone who has had breast cancer but my Dad died of an inoperable brain tumor 15 years ago this halloween. He was only 47, I was only 16.

4. Megan says

I lost my aunt to liver cancer- which metastisized to her lungs 4 years ago. I also volunteer frequently for a pediatric cancer foundation. Cancer is all too common, and there has GOT TO BE a cure! Thanks for the post, It made my day!

5. Swedie says

I’ve lost 2 sisters-in-law to breast cancer: one was 37 and the other 57. The 37 year old’s daughter had a mastectomy at age 32. I think there is no family untouched by it.

6. Tracey @ BellaSky says

THOSE HATS ARE THE BEST!!!

My Aunt Jacklyn is a survivor! She is the most amazing person on the face of the Earth-wise, creative, loving & a wicked sense of humor! So blessed!

We lost my mom’s aunt to Breast Cancer in the 1970′s. It is in our family & it is always on the back of my mind.

I lost a friend, 32 years old to lung/stomach cancer 3 of my best friend from high school & college just lost parents to cancer.

Way too many people, unfortunately, most people can probably list a handful of people, that just sucks & needs to stop!

great tribute!!!!

love your blog!

7. Krystal says

My grandmother died of breast cancer, and my mother is a survivor. It’s a rough thing knowing it’s coming your way when you’ve got it coming from both dad and mom’s side.

-Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

8. GrannieEv says

Our family has been so lucky and a dear friend is a 10 yr survivor of breast cancer. I love these boob hats!

9. Gloria Westerman says

I lost my mother(67 die in 2001), father(81 died 2009) and one brother(57 died 2009) to cancer…..it was only 3 1/2 months apart from my father and brother…..and it still brings tears to eye’s just typing this….I miss them so much…..