oh dear. a dala horse tray.

Mod Podge a dala horse trayAlmost exactly eight years ago, my mom and I drove cross-country. We moved me from Seattle to Hotlanta, and one state we traveled through was the great (and long) Kansas. We were tootling along on I-70 when we saw a sign for “Little Sweden” – the almighty town of Lindsborg. Since we are good Scandinavians (Norwegians, to be specific), we drove the 19 miles out of the way to visit. Where am I going with this? Lindsborg was having a Wild Dala Horse Festival at the time. A dala horse is the cute little Swedish horse pictured above, a horse that brings me such great joy I can hardly stand it. One of my other great joys is Mod Podge, as you know.

So I had to feature this tray.

Lily from block-a-day was kind enough to let me feature it, a tray that she spruced up quite nicely. Visit her blog and the entry about this tray here. And if you ever find yourself on I-70, I highly recommend the pitstop in Lindsborg. Get the Swedish pancakes at the little breakfast place downtown. They are amazing.

Comments

You haven’t visited Lindsborgh in 8 years! Seems like you are in need of another road trip to Kansas. Loved this tray. Those designs are so cute.
    Teresa aka Tess (in Kansas)

I live in Wichita just SouthEast of Lindsborg. I love to visit every chance I get. There are so many things that are wonderful and unique about that town. The old Flour Mill, the Dala Horse sculptures all around town, the Labyrinth at Bethany…I highly recommend stopping in!

3. pam says

Dalas make me happy too! No Scandinavian blood in me as far as I know but definitely a Scandinavian heart!

I’m working on a few Dalas for holidays – but no Mod Podge – yet!

I have a question. Do you know how long you can keep Mod Podge and still use it? Does it go bad?

Thanks, Swedie

5. Ele at abitofpinkheaven says

Our town hosts a big Scandinavian Fall Festival. Attended last week and ate rommegrot and klub! Saw a HUG dala horse!

6. Petit Elefant says

I’m Danish and Norwegian so I grew up with these little horses all over my family home. I LOVE them!

7. Aimee says

Uff Da! Cute! My Scandinavian parents are heading up to Lindsborg this weekend. I’ll have to put in a order for paper Dala horses.

8. Molly says

My parents went to Lindsborg recently and there was a clock shop and my mom got her clock fixed. She showed me the clock and I told her it would look better decoupaged or at least with a coat of milk paint on it. She said no because it was made in 1873 and apparently you can’t make over old things.

9. Jo says

Totally random question…I’m sure you find goodies at various dollar stores. Is there one in particular that is your favorite? Specifically, I want to find the cheesy holiday signs that you have beautifully transformed. I love them! I went to three dollar stores yesterday looking for them. I hope you can point me in the right direction. Thanks. You’re amazing.

I stumbled across this and it made me smile from ear to ear. I attended Bethany College in Lindsborg and have fond memories. What a great little Swedish town! Gotta love the dala!:)