Little girl apple stool. With hearts. And buttons.

I like projects for kids, because they help me express my inner child. I don’t know what made me think of this apple stool, but when I did it I thought about how a child might need a boost to brush her teeth. That boost might need to come from something very cute. Here is what resulted.

Gather These Supplies

FolkArt Acrylic Paint – Magenta, Soft Apple, Yellow Citron
Mod Podge Satin
Small Wood Stool
Carolyn Gavin Greenhouse Scrapbook Papers – 2 sheets (from Michaels)
Wood heart shapes – two
1” Flat Paint Brush
Craft Glue
Pencil
Ruler
Scissors
Assorted Pink-ish Buttons

1. You want to first trace your shapes onto the scrapbook paper. Take one piece and lay the stool top down. Trace around the outside. Do the same thing with the 2 wood heart pieces on the second piece of paper. Set these pieces aside; you’ll work with them when the paint is drying.
2. Time to paint the stool. Paint the top of the stool Yellow Citron, the sides Magenta and the support piece across the middle Soft Apple. Paint the hearts with Magenta. Apply several coats and allow to dry completely.
3. While the paint is drying, cut your paper. Start with the top piece. Measure approximately 1/4″ inside the line that you traced and cut. I always do this so a little bit of paint shows around the edges. It’s a nice touch! Cut the heart pieces out. Also cut two rectangles to fit across the support piece of the stool on either side. It’s nice to buy papers that are two-sided. I was able to cut the pieces from the same sheet I used for the hearts—I turned those pieces over and it gave me yet another design on the other side! Set these cut paper pieces aside.
4. My favorite part. Bust out the Podge and glue the papers down as you see in the pictures. Remember to glue the pieces down, allow to dry for 15-20 minutes and THEN go back and cover the whole piece with Mod Podge. Don’t glue the hearts on yet. Leave the hearts to dry on their own. You may have to go back and trim additional paper around the hearts. Allow all Mod Podge to dry completely.
5. NOW glue the hearts on with craft glue. I had to glue one side, leave to dry and then flip over to glue the other heart. This is because gravity and glue aren’t friends.
6. When the hearts are dry, you can add the buttons to either side of the support piece. Again, I did one side, bathed dogs, and then came back and did the other side.
7. Allow the stool to dry at least 24 hours before letting your little cutie use it!

Comments

1. Happy Together says

I’m putting this on my to do list for my little girl. It’s so cute! I like the button detail

2. pam says

I just found you! – thanks to Rachel at OnePrettyThing! I am going to LOVE visiting! Mod Podge RULES!

that is so absolutely adorable!

just bot a stool at the thrift store last week. it’s in great shape, nice color of stain, nicely varnished. but how can i not paint & embellish it after seeing yours? especially since i have a granddaughter named eva who i can just imagine standing on it at the kitchen counter to help me make cookies. okay, i’m projecting too far into the future – she’s only 8 months, hah!

great job!!!!!!

randee

Wow, those colors are fabulous, I love it! I’ll be linking.

5. Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says

This is too too cute! I am going to feature this stool in an upcoming “button round up” post I am putting together {I will also be re-featuring your button art on the cheap project}. It will go up on Tuesday so check it out :) Thanks for being so creative, as usual!

ashley

6. Nicole@Whimsy-Lane says

Totally the cutest thing ever! Just the inspiration I needed for the stool I want to do in my daughters bedroom makeover. Thanks so much for sharing! LOVE the colors!

7. ★All Thingz Related★ says

What an adorable project! We really appreciate you joining us this week at Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

8. Karen says

Very cute! I made a stool like that for myself some time ago…looks like I need to make new ones for my kidlets too!

I clicked on the pic you had linked up at Life as Lori’s Get your Craft on because of the bright colors. I got a giggle when I arrived because the project I linked up had my hands covered in Modge Podge too! lol :> Glad I hopped by!

Just found your blog and I can’t get enough of it. I’m going to make a stool for my 24 month old triplet boys so they can reach the sink to wash hands, brush teeth, ect. Do recommend using the hard MP? Since it’ll be getting a lot of use… Also spraying it with a waterproof sealer?
    Thanks, Allie

• says

Aw thanks, glad you like it! Yes, I recommend the Hard Coat MP and then the waterproof sealer, just like you suggest!! Good luck Allie!